Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this?

A friend told me this is a SunRad, but I don't agree. Any help in figuring out which type of radiators I have is appreciated.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Not a Rad

It's a convector. Could be one of several brands.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Is there something wrong with it

I have used different brands inside different cabinets, vulcan, sterling, ect...
  • Convector

Bob - Thanks for the quick diagnosis.

The boiler is a 25+ year old Burnham. Not sure if they're the mnfr of the convectors. Issue I have is a couple of them throughout the house wont get hot. I have tried to bleed those to get the loop working again, but have noticed some major corrosion and leaking from the fittings. Any tips or thoughts are appreciated.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    sounds like your ....

system could use some TLC. A cleaning and some air vents replaced. What does the system have for an air separator?
  • heatpro / kcopp - thanks for reply.

As soon as I figure out what an air seperator is, I will gladly reply w the correct info. I cant pull a name pretty much off anything inside the cabinet, all I see is a string of numbers which don't get a hit when googling em. I was being generous when I said a friend. It was actually a larger, local hvac co who told me they were Sunrad's. Then gave me an astronomical estimate to replace 2 of them. A work in progress for me. Again Thanks for the interest.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Pictures

I think there is a very good chance that the radiators are serviceable. Leaking fittings are common and usually repairable. Do you have pictures of the leaks?

If the radiator is not getting hot, this points to poor distribution. The problem is more likely in the mechanical room not the radiator. As pointed out earlier air in the system is a likely culprit.

Pictures of the boiler piping would help. Does the boiler have a pressure gauge? What does it read.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Convectors:

These convector radiators were almost exclusively connected to "One-Pipe Systems" or Mono-flows. If a circulator has been changed in the system, it may be wrong. Back then, the standard was the tried and true B&G Series 100,

Make sure that there is adequate pressure in the system. If it is two story with the boiler in a cellar, raise the pressure to at least 20# PSIG when venting. It will help "Squish" any air in the system. On many of these convectors, they used auto air vents. If the pressure in the system is too low, they suck copious amounts of air into the system. If the element is all scuzzy around the air vents, they probably are (or were) auto vents.

Often, the system temperature is raised up to get more heat out of the convectors. With a 12# system, you can get cavitation AND boiling water at the top of the system which causes the air to go into the convectors.

Make sure that the Auto-Fill/PRV is working properly. If it is old, replace it.

If it is one of those combination Relief Valve/PRV valves, the PRV isn't working when the pressure drops. Replace it. Put it somewhere else and put a REAL relief valve on the system. Those combi valves are expensive and don't really protect a boiler.

Keep that pressure UP!!!!