To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.

Honeywell air vent

bob eckbob eck Posts: 406Member ✭✭
Can a Honeywell air vent if it goes bad can the vent actually suck air into the system instead of venting the air?
· ·

Comments

• icesailoricesailor Posts: 7,174Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sucking Pressures:

If the pressure in the system becomes negative (vacuum), any opening to the system will suck air. If the air elimination device has a cap and it is left open, and the pressure goes negative, it will suck air.

Fix the reason that the system goes negative and you will solve the air problem. Keep the caps tight.

Remember, the lower the pressure, the lower the boiling point.
    · ·
  • hot rodhot rod Posts: 3,700Member ✭✭✭
    air in, air out

pumping towards an expansion tank can cause low or negative pressure at an air vent location, seen in this drawing from "Modern Hydronic Heating" With a high head circ capable of enough delta P you can pull a negative pressure. both air and cavitation problems may occur.

Typically a float type air vent wants a +5 psi pressure to assure a tight shut off.

You can buy anti-siphon caps as a "fixer' or a means to confirm that air is being allowed in at the vent.

A hydroscopic cap is another nice addition for a second level of protection at the vent. If the needle valve shut off fails or gets dirt under it, the hydroscopic cal will serve as a second shut off. And they can be combined, the anti siphon (check valve) cap, and the hydroscopic.

Let me know if you need one to try, I believe the mip threads are common on vents?
    png
    png
    wrong ponc.png
    0B
    png
    png
    Screen shot 2014-03-05 at 11.02.51 AM.png
    0B
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
    · ·
  • Big EdBig Ed Posts: 743Member ✭✭
    Honeywell

Seems like there Spirovent look alike model fails from lack of venting within a year or two ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    · ·