Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bob

Bob_115
Bob_115 Member Posts: 39
Why does my oil burner service tech set my pump pressure at 95 psi instead of 100 psi?

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    I don't know.

Big thing, is he using a combustion analyzer to properly set the burner? Is he properly cleaning the heat exchanger?

If no to any of the above, send him packing.

Harvey
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Lowering Oil Pump Pressure:

Because he doesn't know that he just down rated your boiler and made it run worse?

Most today use a smaller nozzle with higher pump pressures to get better atomization. You get the same results because higher pressures move more product through the nozzle so you make the nozzle smaller. They have charts.

If he can't explain why he did what he did, you might consider someone else.
  • Bob_115
    Bob_115 Member Posts: 39
    pump pressure set to 95 psi

The boiler is very old .Could this prevent burning it out? It is a steel boiler.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited February 2014
    couple of reasons....

Stupidity.

Or maybe he didn't have a smaller nozzle and he lowered the pump pressure thinking it compensates.

Or he doesn't understand proper combustion and all its elements, especially draft.  When he looks at the fire and lowers the pump pressure, it looks 'better' to him.  Maybe poor draft or partially plugged heat exchanger (poor, lazy cleaning), has the flame impinging off the back and this is his remedy.

Either way, get a better guy if you can.
    steve