Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood heat transfer

I have a question that I hope someone out there can help me with.  I live in the country and I am on propane.  With the cost of propane rising we are looking to other means of heat.  I have an endless supply of wood and we are leaning that way.  I was told by a wood furnace manufacturer that I could drop my warm air line into the closest room (to the wood furnace) and hook the cold air return up to my existing ducts and it would pull the heat throughout the whole house.  Can this actually work? The furnace is using a 1500cfm blower and my house is 1400 sq ft.  Will it be an even heat and will I be able to control warm and cold spots?  If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would appreciate it

Comments

• Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    sounds crazy

I think it would be terrible.
  • Some Hot Air Systems

Have a separate switch on the thermostat for fan only, this would help move the air from your warmer room to your cooler rooms, it works ok without changing any of your ductwork, maybe your electrician could wire your thermostat if's not wired like that already.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Might be useful...

... to find someone with a Duct Blaster.  http://www.energyconservatory.com/products/duct-blaster%C2%AE-systems-and-accessories  This is a diagnostic tool that will measure duct leakage.  The AVERAGE leakage is 30%!   Once you have snug ducts, all heating will work better.  I like the idea of using fan only to mix up air in the house.  Putting a return air grill high up in the room that has the stove might help pick up some of that heat to distribute.

Yours,  Larry
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    furnace

I think the OP is talking about a wood furnace, not a stove. Why not distribute the heat in the same manner as the current furnace?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Wood furnace?

Are you talking about an outdoor wood boiler?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Years ago

I built a wood boiler for my Dad. We piped it through the baseboard and put the pump on constant operation. We also built a sheet metal plenum around the whole thing and ducted it up to a large floor grill, ala, a floor furnace tupe grill. It was a straight gravity system on that side. The basement was tight and no radon problems and for a retired guy this worked out great. When he sold the house I took the cutting torch to it and went back to the oil boiler. You can do wood in all kinds of ways. He had the windows open most of the winter;)

It I was going wood I would not do a furnace. Joining the system duct work is kind of a pitn. I think it better to go with a wood boiler and put a hw coil in the furnace plenum. You can get hot water that way too!