Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

007 CAP

Anybody know where we can get just the capacitor for a 007? Seems a shame to install a new pump for hundreds when all it needs is a $1 cap!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    007 Capacitor:

Find someone with an old 007 or whatever. I've never replaced one. How do you know that the capacitor is bad and it is the cause of it not working in your water lubricated circulator?

Did you try wiring a Portuguese Chandelier in place of the capacitor? If the circulator runs, it's the capacitor. If it doesn't, it's the rotor. Its replaceable. If the windings are done, it's a new circulator. Most of us just replace the whole unit because if it isn't the capacitor, it's the rest of the motor and by the time you drive all over East Flame-out looking for one, you could buy two of them. .

At $60,00 per hour, that's a buck ($1.00) per minute. Time is money. If you want to drive all over East Flame-out looking for a capacitor that most anyone here with a shop, has 10 dead ones on the floor and would probably tell you to take them all, knock thine self out..
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Portuguese Chandelier

All right Chris, you got me.

What the  $%^$#% is a Portuguese Chandelier.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    im going to....

guess a 100 watt light bulb and a keyless bulb holder. Riello allows this to be used as a capacitor on their burners in a pinch.
  • icesailor
    AKA:

AKA, A Rubber Chandelier. You know, the rubber bulb holder with the black and white wire sticking out that you can wire into a light fixture for temporary light on a job site. I suppose that I should have been more PC and called it a third world chandelier.

In Southeastern Massachusetts, it seems to be noted by that name. I suppose that you could use any local ethnic group you want.
  • icesailor
    Capacitor replacements:

Funny thing about that Riello rig.

Way long ago, there was this old Scotts electrician. They guy was amazing and could do anything. I used to like to be around him because the pearls of wisdom just dropped out of his mouth. One day in the 1970's, when I was asking him about capacitors in electric motors, he told me that you can take a rubber chandelier and wire it across in place of the capacitor and if the capacitor was in fact bad, you could run the motor until you got another capacitor. I tried it once or twice and it worked. I told others about it and they thought that I was nuts. I mentioned it to others throughout the years. Same blank stare. I was at a Eat & Meet gala at the supply house for a showcase of some product which I don't remember. If it was riello of something else, I don't remember. But there it was, the old light bulb in place of the capacitor trick. It works. That, and charging up the capacitor with a  cord whip with alligator clips connected to the capacitor terminals. Charge it up by plugging in, CAREFULLY remove the clips after you unplug the cord, and jump the terminals with a well insulated screw driver. If it jumps a big spark, the capacitor is good. No spark, get out the rubber chandelier. If the motor doesn't start, get a new motor.
  • icesailor
    Keyless Bulbs:

If a "Keyless Bulb Holder" is a rubber bulb holder with wires sticking out of it, that's it.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Third World?

Damn Ice, thats what we use to keep our well houses from freezing here in Winchester Virginia :)
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    007 cap

That was Riello using a light bulb .   I believe most AC/R supply houses have/can get that cap
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    How do you know?

Many meters have a setting to test capacitors today. I had a motor that wouldn't start on a Riello. Thought the capacitor was bad and I was right. But when I tested it I found that the problem wasn't that the capacitor wasn't charging, the problem was it wouldn't let go of the charge. It climbed to three times its rating before I disconnected the meter. Changing capacitors is a lot easer than changing circulators.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
  • icesailor
    Bubber Chandeliers:

Electrical supply houses usually have scads of them for temporary job site lighting.

Maybe they aren't so legal under OSHA rules because it isn't a grounded device. Electricians used to just take a coil of NM-Romex wire and connect them up. Now they just pay big bucks for a box already made up and a case of 100 watt bulbs.
  • icesailor
    Freezing wells:

Quartz job site lights with a 250 watt bulb work better. They give off more heat. Harder to break. Just aim the light at the pressure switch tube, That's where they always freeze. Lack of circulation even when the pump is running.

That and insulating the sides of the pit to stop radiational cooling from the frost in the ground through the foundation walls.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    and plug them in

to a ThermoCube.  Handy gadgets.