Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C Condener replacement

Options
Hi, I have a 2 ton  Rheem A/C Handler R410A coolant & would like to know if I can use a Trane XL 14i  3 ton condeser also uses R410A coolant as an replacement unit.

Please advise. Thank you

Chris, 

Comments

• Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    "Can" or "Should"?

If you are asking if you can, the answer is yes. If you are asking if you should, the answer is no.

As expected, you should make an effort to match not only the capacities of the indoor and outdoor units, but also the manufacturers of the equipment.

Having a 3-ton condensing unit and a 2-ton evaporator coil will most likely result in lower operating pressures and temperatures that can lead to the freezing of the indoor coil. As the air filter gets dirty, the freezing effect can become worse.

In addition, a three-ton condensing unit has a, give or take, 3-hp compressor that will use significantly more electricity than a 2-Hp pump.

Using a Thermostatic expansion valve on the system will help things a little. Also, a longer line set will help bridge the gap in capacity, although its effect will be minor and is a major contributing factor to system inefficiencies.

So, to make this short and sweet, yes, you can connect these two components but the result will be poor, the cooling effect may very well be less than 2-tons and you will spend a lot more money to run the equipment.

If this was for my house, I would tip my hat and say, No Thanks!
    Eugene
  • Condenser Replacing

How to replace the condenser? What things are required to keep in mind? Please advice me.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Cond replace

Heat , I agree w/ The Professor and David Broome.

smithwatson, lots of knowledge, lots of tools, lots of test tools and instruments, lots of copper /fittings, lots of miscellaneous electrical parts/fittings, and an E.P.A. certificate.And Freon .And solder/brazing skills. And about 4-6 hrs of labor. Are you in the trade?