Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating solutions for naughty children?

Are air curtains appropriate to heat a bedroom?  We're having to disconnect our underfloor heating (it's way too expensive), we don't have gas to our property, so we're having to come up with solutions to heat our childrens' bedroom with a heating solution that they can't access.  Is this at all appropriate?  Are there any other solutions other than wall mounted convection/oil/panel/storage heaters?

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Why?

Why is it naughty for your children to want a warm bedroom to sleep in?

Rob
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    And why

is your underfloor heating "way too expensive?"

Sounds like something is wrong with your system.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    In a word,

no. Air curtains move air at a very high velocity in order to create a thermal break or to inhibit the entry of dust, dirt, or insects into a commercial building, typically. I doubt if you're kids would ever get any sleep with the amount of noise they'd have to endure.
    Steve Minnich
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Reading between the lines...

... Are your kids putting something in the heating duct that shouldn't go there?  Something smelly?  If that's the concern, can you move the register up on the wall or into the ceiling? 

I might have the system checked for duct leakage as the average is a loss of 30%!

Yours,  Larry
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited February 2014
    I'm with Kurt

A look at the radiant floor heat as to why it's so costly to,operate? Or what one thinks is costly to operate.

Is the boiler electric, oil, or LP?

Or is this electric resistance in floor heating?

You may find alternative methods will cost more to operate. You really need to look at what operating costs actually are for alternate methods. I know fuel prices are escalating pushing people into drastic decisions of alternative supplemental heating when they may not be saving what they think.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Heat

Where are you located, so I can contact the local child protection services?
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Whoa guys ...

...  I am thinking Katie has in-floor electric resistant heat,  or electric boiler with radiant floor heat.  And little kids that play with the thermostat.

I'd be surprised if she returns to post again.