Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temperature stuck at 64 degrees

Options
AprilW
AprilW Member Posts: 3
I just recently bought a 2 family detached home. We renovated everything inside from the electric to the pipes to the walls, beams basically everything.

The type of heating system we decided to use is in wall baseboard heater that uses water which run through the pipes heated up by Gas.

On our first floor family the heat is working ok, but I think that's because we have floor heating and the in wall baseboard heating. Anyhow, when we set it at 68 it gets to 68 if we set it at 70 it gets to 70.

HOWEVER,  our 2nd floor family, the heat just won't be contained in the room. Last week in Flushing, NY it was so cold that the temperature never went above 52 degrees inside even though I set it at 70. So I asked my heating guy to add in an additional heating coil inside the in wall baseboard heater (not sure if the additional strip helped or the weather got better this week) and set the temperature at 70 again, now the temperature is able to get up to 64 and that's it. I left it all day n night and still it's stuck at 64 degrees. What is the problem? The living room we are trying to heat up is about 500 SQ , it's 9 feet ceiling and open space concept. Here are some pictures for reference.  see the in wall heating unit on one of the pictures.

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Options
    64 Degrees

Does the upstairs unit have an independent thermostat? If not, you won't have heat if the downstairs portion satisfies the heat demand. Did anyone run a load calculation before choosing the size of the heater? If not, then no one properly knows the amount of heat needed to replace the heat you are losing to the outside of the structure.
  • AprilW
    AprilW Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Yes upstairs have it's independent thermostat and it's individual boiler that feeds the water to the baseboard heater. We did not do a heat lost calculation but the living room is 500SQ and the heat is meant for 7-800 SQ. I've checked the heat is running, I can feel the heat coming out but it's just not heating up the room to more than 64degrees.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Heat Loss Calculations:

You need to do a accurate heat loss calculation on the conditioned space. Second floor spaces lose more heat than first floors because there is more heat loss exposure. Like exposed to the cold ceilings.

It needs to be done before you spend any more money on the problem.
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    Options
    Heat Loss

Follow icesailor's lead. No heat loss equals no way you know what is needed, so don't spend a dime without one.