Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner regulation

Could a burner be adjusted by analysis of its sound of combustion (like tuning motorcycle engines in the old days)?

A computer could analyse the sound and make changes in the mixture as an ongoing process, for clean burning.--NBC

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I used to do a pretty decent job

tuning my muscle car that way... ('66 Buick Gran Sport, Stage II)!

The idea I've thought of is similar -- although a little more 21st century.  Why not use an oxygen sensor (yeah, I know they are expensive) on the stack?  Seems to me that one could do that, and probably be able -- with a little computer hardware and some servos -- to get a pretty decent turn down on either oil or gas that way.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    O2 sensor on the stack

aka lambda control, is relatively common on large BTU burners in restrictive jurisdictions (SCAQMD comes to mind.)  Viessmann also does it on all their current gas burners.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Viessmann

Is that why you can't field adjust them? Only worked on one in the last year. Too few to know the little quirks.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    No Need To Adjust

With Lamda on Vitodens, the boiler is able to adjust gas independent of air. It will always burn clean. Has to. If combustion came out of the range, burner would shut down. Here is the other thing that is missed when it comes to Lamda. CONDENSING!!!!!!!

If have Vitodens out there pouring at 160 supply. Why, lamda...
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."