Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question about fitting on Backflow Preventer (BBFP) *with pics*

Jonesey
Jonesey Member Posts: 11
Hi, I have a general question about fitting a new Backflow Preventer (BBFP) on the 1/2 " supply. My question is this: The existing BBFP is fitted via soldered unions (see pic) BUT the replacement BBFP (see other pic) has different 1/2" female thread unions.

Before I isolate the BBFP and unscrew it, I want to make sure that the new BBFP will be an easy fit. I'm an experienced homeowner but I tread carefully and always confer with those with more experience.

Thank You for any and all help!

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    should be a ....

straight swap out.
  • Jonesey
    That's what I'm hoping.

That's what I'm hoping.

The replacement is longer, however, with the two female threaded end pieces.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    unions

sometimes the unions from the old one will thread onto the new one. If it will then just use the new plastic gaskets and your good to go.

You also can get the 9D with solder unions.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited January 2014
    It will work

I am 97.3% percent sure it will work.You will not use the nuts and threaded flanges that came with the new unit. You will use the ones that are on the existing pipe.

There is a 2.7% chance that watts changed something between the 2 versions. If the body of the unit is the same size, you should be good to go.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    edited January 2014
    I agree, it will work

But what I'm wondering is how did Carl come up with 97.3 success rate and 2.7 as a no go?:) Ah, the mysteries abound. What ever came of the poor (27 out a 1000)souls?:)

Oh BTW Carl since you are an apparent numbers guy, do you any hot tips for Sundays football:)?

Until then I'll ponder this guys backflow preventer:)
  • Jonesey
    Good Odds

"There is a 2.7% chance that watts changed something between the 2 versions. If the body of the unit is the same size, you should be good to go."

The body seems to be the same size - I'll try it out soon and get back to you.

Thanks Carl and everyone!
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Approximate

The 2.7 was approximate.

You would be better off talking to your dog about the football scores.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I asked my dog...

And he said without a doubt, the winner will be "woof, Wolf woof. "

Anyone know of a Google Dog to English translator?

And by the way, provided it is the same manufacturer, the BFP should be a straight forward swap out.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @Mark

Unrelated, on a windows machine, if you highlight woof, Wolf woof , right click and select "Translate with Bing"  the result is:

(auto-detected)

Translate from Malay to English

woof, Wolf woof   translates to woof woof, WolfThere's 15 seconds of your life you'll never get back :)
    steve