Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex in electrcal conduit

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
I have a project where I want to minimize drywall patching.I'm thinking of running EMT just as I would for wires, but instead put Pex in it. This would save me supporting the tube every couple feet and much more drywall repair. Seems to me it's okay, Um, is it okay?

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited January 2014
    Trying to picture

Your scenario.

Seems like a lot of extra work, and material (conduit) unless it's already there.

I would worry about skinning the tube , and I thing 90 bends may be a challenge.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How would you insulate

the EMT?  PEX gets slid into PVC conduit elbows every day (they call them radius bends.)
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Hi- Sorry for lack detail

Here is all I want to do. From the outside of the house drill a hole that ends up in the joist space of the interior. Then slide a EMT until it hits some solid blocking. Then cut the smallest hole , in the sheetrock, just to get an angle drill and bit into. Then start pushing through the EMT. Then move on to the next piece of blocking. until I get to the other end of the house.Then finish off the EMT ends with a connector and plastic bushing and in goes the pex.

The EMT is for support in instead of staples. I would gladly drop 60 bucks for EMT instead of some serious sheetrock work. It's somethig I've never done or seen. I'm aware of Pex growing as it gets hot. There will plent of slack.

It seems harmless to me.But just curios as to any warnings

Bil

P.S. it's 3/4 going into 1 inch EMT
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    PVC

Why not use 1" PVC instead of EMT? Plastic against plastic will be allot easier on the oxygen barrier. As well, I still can't picture what you are trying to do in my minds eye. When you are talking about "blocking" are you talking about joists? If so, most drywallers would prefer one long strait cut to one every 16" or so.

Rob
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Picturing

Is this pex just laying on the drywalled ceiling to heat the space above??

3/4" pex will be a fight.