Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Did someone say Design Day?

Ok, so I'm all for testing the limits of the system and all that, but this is really cold. Its warmed up to -20 and should stay about there all day.  Design day here in Minneapolis is -16 and the little Knight is just humming away.  Wind chill in the -50 range just adds to the whole experience.  Looking forward to the end of the week when it is supposed to get to 30.

What's it like where you are?

Larry

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469

Break out the shorts, and open the pool....lol
  • Paul48
    In CT

Today it's pushing 50 and raining....Calling for about 15 tomorrow.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Currently

33ºF and sunny here (9:15 AM.)  Expected high 46º-48ºF depending on where you ask.

6,000 ft ASL, but 32 degrees latitude.
  • knotgrumpy
    knotgrumpy Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2014
    -14° with Sun Dogs!

Illinois
  • Paul48
    knotgrumpy

Southern Hemisphere.....:-)
  • knotgrumpy
    Solar poles flipped

I changed it. iPhone pics are a challenge to post.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    What's it like where you are?

My computer says it is 55F outside.

My outdoor thermometer says it is 40.3F outside.

The outdoor reset thermometer on my mod-con says it is 41F outside.

Weatherbug says it is 34.8F outside, but it says it is going up to 52F sometime today and down to 8F tonight and tomorrow night. Last Saturday (anyway, the cold day) it went down to to 2.7F. It also says the high is going to be 56F and the low will be only 35F. It is always contradicting itself.

Let me take my Kodak Process Thermometer (mercury, calibrated) outside for a while and see what it thinks. It is the only one that is really accurate and can be read to 1/4 degree F. Well, that did not work: it does not read anything useful because it goes down only to 55F, 17C, and it is colder than that outside.

Design day here is 14F.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    -17 in illinois

This am. -11 about 4:30 going down to -19.

Boiler has run 5.5 hours out of the last 17 hours. Average water temps 106* average radiant panel temp 83*

Lovin my ceiling radiant.

What's your 20 knotsogrumpy in the land of Lincoln.
  • knotgrumpy
    I Just threw up...

...a cup of boiling water into the air and, poof, was instant snow before it hit the ground.  Give it a try, Gordy.

My system has kept up pretty well so far.  ODR is calling for 170° water and this .morning I had a 40° delta T. Gave the B&G Auto circulator dial up a nudge and it came down to 30°.

72° in the house.  I think I wouldn't want any smaller of a boiler if this is the new normal.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    All this Global warming...

Is killing me. Just came in from 15* and a 30 mph wind. Temps dropping rapidly here in Shenandoah valley, Va.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Al Gore

Below design days everywhere , ships checking out the shrinking polar ice stuck on top of it , record cold temps all over , we're all gonna bake !  New theory , everyone lower your design temps by -10* .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Limamikemike
    Limamikemike Member Posts: 28
    Gotcha beat

Two nights ago the low was -33f, (-36c) windchill of -58f (-51c) Edmonton AB.

Impressive numbers but after -25 it all feels the same.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    why do humans

live there? must have tough hearts to pump blood that thick.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Chilly

-1 in Daleville, VA.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Reading PA

Its 0 degrees.
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    Yesterday

In my suburb south of Denver it was -4 at sunrise. By midday, it was 22, but with sunshine and no wind. In the thin air, that means t-shirt weather if you are in the sun. 40* right now at 6:30

Design temp here is -10. We hit that about 6 times a year for a couple hours in the night.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    All this Global warming... Is killing me.

The only thing that is killing me about the way the term "global warming" is used is the implication that the planet is getting uniformly warmer. A more appropriate term is "climate change." Overall, the planet is absorbing more heat (mostly from the sun), but that causes some parts to get warmer, some parts to be cooler. Some of this heat is not noticed by news announcers as it results in raising ocean temperatures. Just as the oceans are becoming more acidic as a result of acid rain. (Bye bye shellfish, skeletons, phyto plankton (the base of the food chain).) And it already has consequences (ask the people in Norfolk VA, and Virginia Beach. What happens is that weather (as distinguished from climate) is getting more extreme: hotter drier summers in most places, colder winters. Remember, climate is what you should expect, weather is what you get.

It is officially 12F outside here now, but it is actually 6.8F, and it was about 5.5F when I got up about 2 hours ago. This is the first year I have seen it below 8F. It got down to 2.7F about a week ago. My living room's thermostat thermometer got down to 67F this morning, though it is set for 69. My boiler could have kept the setting, but I would need to put a little more than 120F water into the slab and I do not wish to do that. If this becomes a regular thing, though, I may push the maximum up to 122F when it goes below 8F outside.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    must have tough hearts to pump blood that thick.

My niece and her family live in Edmunton. If you add a small percentage of ethanol to the blood, it may thin it out. Not a good idea though, because it lets more of it to flow through the capillaries near the skin surface, and that lowers the body temperature.
  • knotgrumpy
    Warming up

-3.4° in Illinois.  Warmest it has been in a few days.
  • knotgrumpy
    Warming up

-3.4° in Illinois.  Warmest it has been in a few days.