Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham V8 insulation

I am mostly done insulating the hot water pipes coming from the boiler (a PV83WT-TBWF).But, as my oil bill continues to go up, I'd like to do more. It's noticeable that when the boiler is on the warmest part of the house is the basement where the boiler is! Does this boiler come with insulation under the jacket? If not, how can I insulate it? If so, can I add more insulation somehow because it clearly isn't doing all that much.

Thanks.

David.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Insulation:

The boiler is insulated. Take two thermometers or one with a remote read out. Put one on the jacket and see how hot it is getting and the other one a foot or so above it. Compare the two. You can add more insulation. Remember though, the heat from the boiler is being lost into the conditioned space. It is a far more effective heat/insulation savings to insulate the top 4' of the foundation and the rim joist space. Plus, two to four feet of the joist bays from the rim joists out. Or if it is a crawl space, cover the space from the top of the footing (if exposed) or ground to the sole/sill plate. Then the rim joist space. There is far more heat lost there than will ever be lost from your boiler and insulation.

Styrofoam is better because it doesn't burn and is cheaper. Urethane burns and needs to be protected. Plus costs a lot more. The crawl space will be warmer which will cut down on heat loss through the floors into the "unconditioned" space. Use a minimum of 2". They have anchors for the insulation that you glue on the walls with PL 200. After they dry, you just push the insulation on the pins, push the plates on, and cut off the remaining. So you don't stick yourself or someone else in the eye.

The ground under the middle of the crawl space is 45 to 55 degrees. The ground temperature at the edge of the foundation, at the very top and the exposed part will be the same as the outdoor temperature. Below the frost line, it is above 32 degrees. At the bottom of a cellar wall (90" down) at the footing, will be 45 to 55 degrees, depending on where you are.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    I did it

and I'd do it again - miserable **** that I am. I agree with everything Ice said above but I'll tell you about my experience.

I had a Burnham v75 boiler and it was missing a small piece of unsulation betweem the boiler block and cover. When I took the top cover off (actually just raised it up) I saw the insulation was about 3/4' of fluff and there was a good 2" of space. I took some 3" fiberclass insulation and did the top and as far down the sides as I could get. It is a little compressed but that boiler jacket is a lot cooler and i noticed the boiler retains heat better so it comes up to steam a little quicker on the next cycle.

When my new smith boiler was installed last October I did the same with it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Waste of time

Invest in a higher efficiency boiler/indirect
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    ditto Bob

insulation won't do much in the way of increased efficiency here