Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Marathom waterheater pros and cons

Options
I am thinking of replacing my 23 yr old Craftsmaster water heater....I have cleaned it out a couple times and it isnt leaking...Its an 80 gallon electric on a day/night meter...I was thinking of buyng the Maraton lifetime tank...we have city water so its not too bad..the cost for a std 80 gallon is 500....the Marathon is 1000.00

have also thought of going to natural gas but I think it would cost more because it would be heating during the day...stand by losses are greater, tank would have to be power vented so cost is more....

I also thought about just going to a 40 gallon regular electric and getting rid of the day/night meter but most tell me I wont save anything...

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    My first idea...

... would be to replace the anode in your current tank and try to keep it going, but then I'm an optimist.  Next would be to look into a heat pump unit with bigger (80 gal) tank.  This could be run only during off peak hours and generate some energy savings.  Set it to run only in heat pump mode for more savings.  These units do make noise and they need good air flow.  They have a filter that must be cleaned to keep that good air flow, otherwise performance can really drop off.  There may be some $ incentives to go with a heat pump also.

Marathon is nice, but is only one option.

Yours,  Larry