Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Warmboad Vs Thermalboard

Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
Hey all

If the bank is willing, I will be building my own house this spring. Of course I want to make good choices that I will not regret for years to come. One of them being to go warmboard or thermalboard. Thermalboard is half the price but twice the pain on installation but can be put in after all the interior rough in is done which is a bonus. So my question is has anyone used thermalboard? If so what kind of difference in water temperatures between them, I know Warmboard is the best possible choice, but if thermalboard gives the same water temps without noise while running then I can afford to get good hardwood floors.
Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• As I remember,

Warmboard is best for extracting heat and Thermalboard is not far behind.  Engineering tables should be available for both somewhere in their literature.

Noise reduction is accomplished by using the tubing with the quietest oxygen barrier.  I seem to remember always using Uponor tubing.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    edited December 2013
    Charts

According to the charts at 20btu per sqft warmboard is 90 and thermalboard is 98 Typically real world numbers and applications make a lot more sense to me. So my second question is has anyone done both and can testify to the numbers?

The noise I speak of is squeaking coming from the thermalboards on the subfloor. I am sure if it's done right its no problem just want to ask first.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    type of material

I used another brand of product that was a composite, particle makeup. If you go that route be sure to avoid any applications where it could get wet or damp. Mine blew up where it got wet near an entry door.

Warmboard, is a stout product, you do need to protect it during construction. I installed several WB jobs and chose to install the tube after the walls were up and sheetrocked. It saved wear on the tubing during wintertime construction, but it was a job cleaning out all the grooves.

On the next WB jobs we put thin masonite over the entire floor for protection.

Pros and cons to both products. determine who installs the WB. framing crews balk, unless they know before they bid the job that WB is the subfloor. It does take more time and muscle to put in properly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.