Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bleeder valves stolen!! Grr...

Options
we just purchased a new home. 2 days before we closed the copper was stolen. It wasn't as bad as it could be and my husband is a contractor so we decided to purchase the home anyway. The house was built in 1920 and is radiator heating. We are very excited to have this kind of heating! However, we discovered yesterday that not only did they get away with the copper but the "bleeder valves" on the radiators were stolen.

My husband calls them bleeder valves. I don't know anything about radiant heating. I guess these were made of brass and they got away with about 10 of them.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to replace those parts? I google "bleeder valves" and I don't really come up with much.

Does this make any sense to anyone? I've never dealt with radiators before so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!!

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vents

Welcome to the world of steam!

They are called Air Vents. Go to any major plumbing supply and ask for Gorton radiator vents. If they try to sell you VariValves, kindly decline and walk out.

You'll want to install small vents on the small radiators and large vents on the large radiators. Do not follow the diagram that Gorton hands out. They make great vents, but have no idea how to install them!
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    edited December 2013
    Options
    it this...

what you mean? If its a hot water system...  http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-417-3-Coin-Vent-11389000-p
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    At this point

we need to know if you have a hot water or a steam system.Some pictures of the boiler and near-boiler piping would help.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ceciliastar1
    ceciliastar1 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    okay!

Thanks for the responses so far. The next time I'm in the house I will definitely take pictures! I honestly have no idea if it's steam or hot water, etc.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vents

My bad. Thought I was in the steam forum!

Easy way to check what kind of system you have.... Look at the boiler. Does it have a clear glass tube? Does it have a circulator?
This discussion has been closed.