Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendations for new flue gas analyzer- URGENT!

ScottD
ScottD Member Posts: 4
We are looking to add a couple of combustion gas analyzers to our company. Currently we have a UEI unit (125 or 150?) that we are marginally happy with. It is currently in need of having the O2 sensor replaced. 

What units do you recommend?

We mostly test residential condensing units, with an occasional commercial condensing unit.

Reliability and the ability to replace sensors ourselves is pretty high on our list of requirements. Ease of use would be pretty nice as we can train more guys to use it if it is inherently easy to use. (not the uei unit).  I am hoping to keep the price around or under $2k each with printers.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I have a Wohler...

and it is pretty good. I have also seen the Testo mentioned here a lot and guys seem to like them.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Bacharach

i've been really happy with the Bacharach Fyrite® InTech and use it 4 to 5 times a day for the last 3 months. I've used 'em all and wanted something really affordable and so far so good.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    E instruments

I have an E Instruments that I've been happy with for about 4 years. Also a Bacharach, I like the E a little more.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    UEI Eagle X

Uses an IR CO2 sensor instead of an electrochemical O2 sensor.  5 year warranty on everything, including sensors and calibration.  No problems so far.  Bluetooth option removed the need for a printer here -- just email the results to the customer and CC: to your office for record keeping.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    I've always had Bacharachs...........

Never any issues. Rich Bruno is NYC rep...always hooks me up. Mad Dog
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    analyzer

Testo is excellent analyzer
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    ECOMM

You will be hard pressed to find a better analyzer than anything by ECOM. Before my current company, I worked for a company that had ECOM J2KN's. These are heavy duty commercial/ industrial analyzers with a heavy duty sample cooler that can run for 8-10-12 hours a day while you are setting up large industrial burners. I remember we did one start up with mine on a Cleaver Brooks NatCom 47,500,000 BTUH Burner a couple years ago and I had that thing running for 8-10 hours a day for like 2 weeks straight. And then we did the same thing several months later. These things can take a licking and come back for more, and they are consistent, reliable, and while they do need to be sent in for calibration, I feel I can trust them, which is important.

ECOMM has a a few entry level analyzers more aimed at residential and light commercial called the CN, the CL, and the B which are cheaper priced more aimed at point and check types of set ups on your average residential appliance that might fit the bill. But like everything, you get what you pay for and they are not cheap, but they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned for their quality and user friendly features.

The current place I work at we have one Bacharach that isn't bad, and a Kane May 9106. The Bacharach ins't bad - not exceptional, but not great, the Kane May is not bad when it works, but like every other person I talks to who uses a Kane May - when they work they're great, but you are at times on a first name basis with the local calibration/repair company with these things. I guess I was spoiled when I had the ECOM's and it's hard to find something else that compares.
    Class 'A' Gas Fitter - Certified Hydronic Systems Designer - Journeyman Plumber
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    Here are some videos that may help

I'm a big fan of Testo. There are a bunch of Youtube videos produced by Jim Bergmann from Truetech Tools that show features of the Testo and Bacharach CAs. Here are a few links:

Testo 310, 320:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTZH1Y9KlE

Bacharach Insight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNrLWnpFFfo

Bacharach Insight Plus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqhL2RCzlMc

Page for getting an idea of the equipment cost:

http://www.trutechtools.com/Combustion
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Bacharach

INSIGHT PLUS.....Really good analyzer....ive had UEI and Testo, its by far better . PAUL s
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Thanks, guys?

Per your recommendations, I purchase a Bacharach Insight from TruTech.  It's under the Christmas tree and I can't wait to break it in.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • ScottD
    edited December 2013
    Purchased Testo

Thanks for all the replies. I had to move fast at the time of the posting and I got a couple of testo units with printers. I am very impressed with the unit.  It has an color lcd screen and menu programming. I think we paid just under 2000 each for them with printers and hard cases.  The units are 100% easier to operate than our older uei75/'s- night and day.Anyhow , thank you!Scott
  • ScottD
    alan forbes

Alan, why do you have 'California Radiant' in your name?
  • California Radiant

It's been my handle ever since I started posting on The Wall, just to let people know where I'm from.

I had the url californiaradiant.com for years and then dropped it only to be picked up by a company with the same name in Santa Cruz.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.