Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New forced heat N.G. furnace

yesindeed
yesindeed Member Posts: 13
What are some of the most efficient N.G.forced heat furnace on the market today? I have a concrete lined chimney. Metal ducts throughout the two family structure, located in the North East region.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I dont do...

FHA but the best units I understand are made by Thermopride. 

http://www.thermopride.com/products/gas-products/premiere-gas-furnace
  • yesindeed

Thanks for your advice. Does the chimney require a lining?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    All chimneys must be lined for

all gas and oil equipment.

Excellent FWA Furnaces, Carrier, Lennox, Trane are all good.
  • yesindeed

As per Tim, which of the named brand would you choose if the opportunity arise?
  • boiler guy here

But do repair furances...,Trade are horrible! Most supply don't have parts, must go to,'Trade' only shop to get part..
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Not sure what you mean

by "Trade" do you mean Trane? If so it must depend on your location and if you are a trained Trane service tech if so I am surprised you can't get parts. In my area parts are readily available.
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Best Furnace

Are you a homeowner or are you in the trade? If you are a homeowner and are looking to have a furnace installed for you, to me the most important consideration  would be confidence in your installing contractor and what he would reccomend. Nothing worse than having a brand new furnace thats down and your "GUY" is no where to be found and doesn't answer his phone. Believe it or not this happens more than you think .

John Pughe
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    HE Furnaces

From your words "most efficient" I assume you refer to an AFUE beyond 90%, in which you will no longer be using your chimney. However, if you are orphaning a water heater by removing the furnace, you will need a liner appropriately sized for the water heater (see the GAMA tables for sizing). If your water heater is in a separate chimney and no other fuel-burning appliances use the chimney from which the furnace came, you can use it as a chase to terminate your new furnace, provided you follow your maker's venting instructions and you insulate the intake/exhaust pipes appropriately. Or, abandon it entirely and use the sidewall option.

As far as the efficiency of units is concerned, each manufacturer publishes efficiencies which vary by maker and BTUH. Run a load calculation to determine the correct output and air flow needed for your home, then compare efficiencies. Don't micro-manage AFUE ratings; the difference between 96% and 97% is hard to justify. More important is choosing a BTUH output and a blower that will deliver that output against the pressure losses of your duct system. From there, find a convenient distributor who will be there for you when you need parts or technical help.
  • yesindeed

Thanks Spence.
  • yesindeed

John I am a home owner and a novice in the HVAC trades.
  • Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    edited December 2013
    HE Furnace

Let me know if I can help with loads.
This discussion has been closed.