Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic Rad Valve Control

MikeyG
MikeyG Member Posts: 10
<strong>Hi-</strong>

<strong>I am a homeowner and not a professional.  I purchased the following products and installed them (after reading Dan's books) for one room where I have a second heating source to shut down the steam rad if the room reaches a certain temperature:</strong>

<strong>Thermostatic Rad Valve w/ Vac Breaker for one pipe steam -- Danfoss SKU:013G0140 </strong><span><span style="color:#000000">Remote Setpoint & Sensor - Wall Mount -- Danfoss SKU:013G8562  </span></span>

<strong>from Pex Supply</strong>

<strong>However, it does not seem to be working as the rad gets hot immediately regardless of the temp in the room (even if I adjust the thermostat of the remote sensor to the lowest setting.)</strong>

<strong>Can anyone suggest whatn the problem may be?  Thanks in advance.</strong>

<strong>Mike G.</strong>

Comments

• MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2013
    High and Low

EDIT

Removed as this is not the electric control I was referencing.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    non-electric

That looks to me as if the actuator is a non-electric (capillary) model, so it uses a tube and fluid pressure to control the actuator, not electricity. A multimeter won't help in that case.

In many cases if a capillary control is not working properly the capillary tube has been pinched or kinked at some point. With a kink, pinch, or hole in it the fluid can't transmit pressure from the dial to the actuator and it won't work. These capillaries aren't too delicate, but need to be handled with some care or they can be damaged (don't drop anything on them, put tight staples over them, or pull them tight around corners).
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Danfoss

the boiler/steam system must go to 0 psig on off cycle and have a numerous cycle rate for these 1 pipe valves to work correctly, if the system never draws air in the Danfoss valves often wont close.   I posted the details in the past and believe I sent a document from Danfoss (1983) to the archives
    RJ
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    r_stahmer@yahoo.com

type Danfoss in the site search   look for July 29 2009  old document from Bill Burton
    RJ
  • MikeyG
    MikeyG Member Posts: 10
    Cannot locate the details you posted in the past ...

Hi RJ. 

I've tried to search for what you posted in the past and perhaps I just am not that good with searching this site but cannot find anything.  Would it be possible to help direct me there?  Thanks!

Mike
This discussion has been closed.