Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trial for ignition

I have a new gas steam boiler Peerless 63-03-SPRK-SP with spark ignition. The burner seems to have a continuous trial for ignition and keeps firing very frequently. Can this be stopped unless there is a call for heat? It is SO ANNOYING, this old house has uninsulated wood floors and I hear every click on and click off.

The burner fires for 2 minutes about every 8 minutes. During the day there is no call for heat, the sun in windows raises the temperature.

Comments

• MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Hrmm

Are you saying that the boiler fires up every 8 mins all day long even though the thermostat is not calling for heat? Or, did you mean the boiler TRYS to fire every 8 mins but never lights even though the thermostat is not calling for heat?
  • MyName3
    MyName3 Member Posts: 4
    it is the ignition cycle

MDN, The spark ignition burner fires up every 8 minutes and runs for 2 minutes. Like clockwork. This is the ignition cycle I am reading about, except it is continuous, not just when there is a call for heat. My house warms up during the day from the sun coming in the window. If I turn up the heat, the burner keeps running longer to reach the thermostat setting.
  • MDNLansing
    Normal?

Have you read the manual to see if this is normal? I know on some older electronic ignitions they would do this by design. The pilot thermocouple had to be warm and satisfied twice an hour. It was a diagnostic test. I don't recall seeing any that ran for 2 mins though, it was more like 20 seconds. How new is this install? Have you called the installer and asked them if this is normal?
  • MyName3
    manual

The manual has the below and there are a number of such articles if you do a Google search. Some posts elsewhere say there are "continuous" such tests that I think means the manufacturer has it set up to keep repeating, rather than just when there is a call for heat. This is the NEW spark ignition gas burners. I'm hoping someone who knows what this technology is about can respond to my post.

Trial for Ignition – 90 seconds, 5 minute wait between trials for ignition. There is a chart.
  • MDNLansing
    Make and Model

What make and model is it?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    in first post...

Peerless 63-03-SPRK-SP
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Ignition

There has to be a shorted control wire somewhere. That should not happen.

Take the t-stat off the wall. See if it stops.
  • MDNLansing
    Agree

You ave a short, or a faulty module. The ignition should only fire when the boiler calls for heat. What you are describing sounds like the ignition is shorted out and always trying to fire, but the gas valve is shut and not supplying fuel. When no fuel is present to ignite, it will attempt to light for 90 secs and then wait for 5 -6 mins and try again. Sounds like the gas valve is wired properly and the ignition is shorted out.
  • MyName3
    No

No, MDN, per the first post it is firing for 2 minutes. There is fuel, it turns on for 2 minutes, then turns off.
  • MDNLansing
    JStar

Then I point to JStars post. Your reply "The spark ignition burner fires up every 8 minutes and runs for 2 minutes" made me think you were saying the pilot light was igniting but not the full burner.

Did the thermostat get replaced with the boiler? Has this problem been going on since the boiler was installed or is it something that developed over time? You certainly have a short circuit. Try disconnecting the thermostat and see if it stops.
  • WWYID-what would your installer do

Has he any idea about the repetitious short firing?--NBC
This discussion has been closed.