Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant and wood floor

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
where are homeowners getting their info that it is a no-no.So far I have givin 4 of dans book on radiant to homeowners(yet to be returned).Next year im doing staple up in my own house(funds permitting)and my wife has already said if the floor buckles the result wont be nice.I actually came from a job yesterday,radiant heat no mix and 170 degree water going to floor.Ouch.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2013
    For that

Very reason radiant floors running wild. Most hardwood manufactures cover their butts now

By claiming certain species are radiant friendly or not. Because they never know what some radiant knuckle heads will do.

Bottom line is there are a lot of things that can cause wood flooring to buckle, shrink, twist,etc. Humidity, proper acclimation before installation, fastening, poor subfloor, wood species, type of milling plain, or quarter sawn, etc. All plays a role.

Basically the narrower the flooring the better. Some species are just more dimensionally stable.

So with your future staple up just be sure you design with lowest possible average water temps. This can only happen if the load is low, by using heat transfer plates, and not having to push heat through a lot of existing floor layers.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    thanks Gordy

I used heat transfer plates before (uponor) on a job with no problems.I use a heating consultant on every job,I know my limitations,he sizes pumps etc and I put it together.

BTW I enjoyed your steam boiler pics that you posted before,reminds me of a guy I used to work with.Take care and thanks for your response.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Wrong Gordy

On the steam boiler pics Johnny.
This discussion has been closed.