Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning a plate and frame heat exchanger

Options
zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
does anyone know the best mild detergent to use when scrubbing down the plates of plate and frame heat exchanger? the manufacture recommends using nitric acid, and water. I do not want to use any acids if necessary, because we would be scrubbing them down on the roof of the building (rubber roof) thanks to all

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    What's on the plates?

Nitric acid and mild detergent have somewhat different properties.  What is the residue you are trying to remove?
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    just dirt

Mostly dirt and other stuff found in an open cooling tower system
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Try it

can't hurt to try a couple of plates and see how they fare.  Sounds like you don't have very hard water there (or have been treating your water diligently.)  If you do have lime stains, a lower pH will help -- though Sulfamic, citric, and acetic acids are more commonly used.  Nu-Calgon has been recommended here a few times, though I have no personal experience with it.
  • PZdescaling
    PZdescaling Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Acid Free, All-in-One Descaler

Since your heat exchanger made of multi material, in order to not hurt your equipment, I would recommend you to use 1st TECH Biodegradable Descaler. It is acid free descaler, and works for cleaning the rubber material parts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.