Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clear pipe, pumping demo

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
A portable display I built for my trainings. The one side shows how P/S works, and the reverse flow between the close tees, when you adjust the flow rates. Also the issues with entrained air in the clear plastic pump volutes. It demonstrates air, dirt, and magnetic separation.

The demo clearly shows how the flow transitions from turbulent to laminar when you ramp down the pump speed. When flow goes laminar the outer boundry of fluid stops completely and a small core of fluid moves through it. It becomes clear how heat transfer would drop considerably when the fluid slows below turbulent conditions.

On the reverse side it shows a Sep4 air, dirt, magnetic and hydro separation,

Also a partially clear heat exchanger that shows how the micro bubbles cling to the HX wall without adequate flow and micro bubble elimination?

The Caleffi road show travels across Iowa next week.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Laminar vs turbulent

Very nice display.

How do you make the transition from laminar to turbulent flow visible with a clear liquid?

I understand the difference in velocity between the tube boundary and the center section in laminar flow, but how do you actually see whats happening in the demonstration?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Awesome

Display Like Mike wondering how you do the flow visual? Dye injection some where?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I use some glycol

to protect it from freezing in the truck. The brand I use is bright green, so that gives me some color. I also have some food coloring to add to the different piping sides of the separators to show how the fluids stay separate until both circs are running.

And I connected a small aquarium air pump. When you pump air into the fluid stream you can see where the movement is and where the boundry layers are still. It also shows how the tiny micro bubbles adhere to the collision media inside the separators.

When the fluid is turbulent it actually corkscrews thru the pipe, almost looks like a drill running inside the tube.

I'll try to do some You Tube Videos later this week.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.