Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steamaster Tablets @ Pex Supply

Keep an eye open for Steamaster Tablets becoming available on the Pex Supply web site!

I asked them to stock them & promised them a lot of you folks would order too!

Cheers,

Coop

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
    Huh?

I asked them over a year ago to stock them and they said they were not looking to stock anything new at that time.

Did they actually tell you they were going to stock them?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Worth looking for

I  ought a bottle at Amazon about a year ago and that is the last time i saw it online anywhere.

i drained a little water out of the boiler in late september after doing a little work on the boiler and the water was as clear as tap water - with a light purple tint. That bottle will last me a long time but if it does become available at PexSupply I'll pick up another just to have it on the shelf.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2013
    Crystal clear

BobC,

Same exact results as me. I was going to drain and rinse the boiler out this fall and decided there was no point. I have not done anything to it since I think last fall other than add small amounts of water occasionally.

I will never run straight water again as long as I can avoid it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • stevep
    stevep Member Posts: 37
    Sources are scarce for non-contractors...

I only found one online vendor who sells them, Shamrock Supply, and they'll only sell them by the case. Sid Harvey carries them but they don't sell to the public, so I have a contractor buddy buying some for me.
    Homeowner
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Water

Does not go bad so why change it, I just add a bit occasionally to make up for anything I drain off. My PH has been about 9 for the last year so the 20 tablets I have left should last a good long time.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • rich11coop
    rich11coop Member Posts: 25
    yes pex

Here's the response I got from Pex:

Hello

Attached is the quote that you had requested. If you would like to place

an order for this item please let me know and I will have it added to

the website for ordering.

Best Regards,

Olivia

PexSupply.com

So yes it looks like if they are going to the trouble of adding them to the website that they will be stocking?

Cheers,

Coop
  • ChrisJ
    Wow

I guess you had better luck than I did. Either way its great news!
  • saikosis
    saikosis Member Posts: 75
    Mud

Chris and Bob, do you know that mud isn't collecting in the bottom of your boiler? Do the tablets prevent corrosion or just keep the gunk from ending up in suspension in the water? The only contractor I've gotten a quote from so far is reluctant to install the valves necessary for a proper blow down of the boiler. I'm wondering if I can forego the valves and use some of these tablets instead. What are your thoughts?
  • ChrisJ
    valves

Definitely install valves for blowdown.

The tablets greatly reduce rust and corrosion in the boiler but only in the boiler. Return water will still have small amounts of rust and who knows what else in it and it will collect in the boiler.

From time to time the boiler will still need to have a good blowdown.
  • ChrisJ
    edited November 2013
    Great news!

Just remember DO NOT follow the directions on the bottle.

One tablet for small boilers and two tablets for a large boiler. I think the recommended dosage for my EG-45 was something like 12 tablets and even two seemed to be pushing it.

I originally was using 2 tablets but have dropped down to 1 for now.
  • saikosis
    edited November 2013
    How Often

Chris, how often do you add a new tablet? Also, and I know this is a stupid question, but how do you get them in the boiler? Through the skim port?
  • ChrisJ
    Not stupid questions

You only add tablets when you drain water from the boiler.

When you add make-up water due to small amounts being lost through vents via steam none of the treatment is lost so you do not add tablets. The only time you add a tablet is if you drain the boiler during a blow down or cleaning. Essentially, if you see purple water leaving the boiler, your treatment level is dropping. When the water seems to be too light in color in the gauge glass toss another tablet in.

I toss them in through my skim port and use a screw driver to push it into the boiler as it usually ends up laying in the valve or pipe. If you don't have a spot large enough you could dissolve the tablet in a cup of water and pour it in.
  • saikosis
    Good Advice

Good advice, thanks.

Just curious, how'd you figure out you only need one tablet vs. what the bottle recommended?
  • ChrisJ
    Dosage

Gerry Gill had recommended I use the tablets back when I was having problems with dirty water. He had told me to use one tablet on smaller boilers and two tablets on larger.

My PH was a hair low so I went with two tablets and didn't seem to have any problems but I became paranoid and drained some water.

The original thread is here :

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/143078/Rinsing-the-boiler
  • ChrisJ
    Sorry

Rich,

Sorry for kind of swamping your thread. :(
  • saikosis
    Thanks

Thanks as always Chris. I appreciate the help.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Member Posts: 61
    Anyone in Boston want to share an order?

Was thinking of ordering a bottle, but shipping is as much as the product!

Anyone in the Boston area want to go in an order? Looks like $18 plus your share of the shipping. I'll bring them anywhere within ~20 miles of Brighton.

Alex
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    you can also pick them up

at Sid Harveys if they have locations near you.
  • ChrisJ
    Sid Harveys

Do they sell to the public?

I usually wait until I need a few things and then order from Pexsupply. 99% of all copper and iron fittings as well as valves I buy come from them. Can't stand the garbage at homer or lowes.
  • rmoore007ri
    rmoore007ri Member Posts: 45
    Pex Supply & Steamaster tablets

My order from Pex supply arrived today :-)
  • stevep
    stevep Member Posts: 37
    Me too

Mine arrived today as well. Pex Supply rules.
    Homeowner
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    public

yes they do
  • ChrisJ
    dosage

Please remember DO NOT follow the instructions on the bottle.

One tablet to be safe on smaller boilers, 2 on larger boilers. Its also best to check your PH to ensure your at 10 or lower. I prefer to keep mine around 9 to be on the safe side.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Order placed

I just placed my order. Cant' wait for them to arrive.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • rich11coop
    rich11coop Member Posts: 25
    Thanks guys!

I told Pex that they would sell!

I got my order today!

Cheers,

Coop
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Post some reviews

It might encourage them to continue selling them if those of you who've used them could post reviews on their site. You can even attach pictures and videos, which would be a real help because they don't have a product image.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Maine Vent
    Maine Vent Member Posts: 130
    Sid Harvey in Maine

Sid Harvey in Portland Maine only sells to the trades, not general public. F.W. Webb sells to both here in Maine. Shipping from Pex on Steammaster tablets is expensive for a small container. I'll keep looking.
    Weil McLean SGO4, Riello Gas Burner
    404 sq ft EDR
    Old Burnham V8 Removal
  • Hollis
    Hollis Member Posts: 105
    as good? better ,not as good?

Does this do the same? i have used it for 15 years. It can be gotten ORTC at F.W. Webb's.

Its from rectorseal products,..

googling it may give you more information.

I used it for other reasons on a unit that did a lot of banging on cold pipes Spring and fall when boiler was on intermittantly,..totally did not after that. Not totally sure why...

Product Description

8-Way is a complete boiler water treatment (no chromate,

biodegradable) for both steam and hot water systems. 1. Removes sludge.

2. Removes rust scale. 3. Inhibits boiler corrosion. 4. Inhibits steam

line corrosion. 5. Prevents oxygen pitting. 6. Inhibits lime scale. 7.

Prevents surging and foaming. 8. Controls pH with a color indicator.

Quart
  • Shaun McDonnell
    Shaun McDonnell Member Posts: 20
    In

Just ordered a bottle also with another Gorton #1. I was thinking of ordering another #1 and this gave me a reason to.
This discussion has been closed.