Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fiber Optics

Spoke to a guy today ,who has a radiant leak. its <em> an old system ,iron pipe. He questioned me about using "Fiber Optics " to find the leak. Has anyone heard of, or who of this .</em>

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Fiber optics

Carries light waves. I really don't know how that would work for leak detection unless he is thinking about a camera for viewing.
  • Old radiant leak

He must be thinking of the cameras used for drain pipe inspection.

An IR camera might be a better option.--NBC
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Bore scope

Like surgeons use would be the only size that could snake through smaller id pipe and fittings. Goggle them I'm sure their pricey, and the leak would have to be quite obvious.
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    FLIR

I would think thermal imaging would be the way to go. Even an endoscopy is limited to about three to 5 feet and those thing can bend themselves...
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Thermal imaging

Using thermal imaging seems to be the best way to go.

Cameras don't fit in small pipes.

There are some cool options using dopler technology that we have used for larger water mains. The problem is is only gives the distance along the pipe. With radiant you don't know where the pipe is without thermal imaging.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Leak-finder

I used to use a company called Gammy Nuclear Services . They would put a radioactive isotope in the system and find the leak with a Geiger counter . I never got to watch them they would just put an x on the floor . I think federal regulations may have put them out of business .
    bob
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    fracking fluid

I've read that some blends include the radioactive "secret sauce" to track the drill and fluid? Since they seem to be immune to lawsuits.... just saying
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    No Fiber optics...

In my 37 years of chasing leaks, I've nver seen it done, and I keep up on that kind of stuff. Besides, even if you COULD get a camera into a pipe, you'd just see a lot of rust anyway.

My vote goes to IR, and if that fails, then go to helium leak detection.

If you know EXACTLY where every linear foot of pipe is, you could use a doppler leak detection system to locate it. That what the cities use for leak detection in their mains, but they know EXACTLY where their pipes are located. The device will tell you that the leak is XX feet from point A, and XX feet from point B, but can't tell you where the pipe is physically located.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  •  B . Martino
    B . Martino Member Posts: 8
    inra red

I had a similar situation a year ago in a slab house. I talked to a guy from the town water department that does underground leak detection and he said go to the fire department and see if they will come out with their thermal imaging camera and scan the floor.

He joked that they are sitting around doing nothing and would love to get to use the equipment that they rarely get to use. Long story short went to fire department and explained the situation. They asked the address and said we will be right along. 5 minutes later a ladder truck pulls up 6 guys jump out and in they come with the thermal imaging camera and pinpointed the leak in 1 minute. The best part it was free. They were just excited to try their new toy out. I made the repair in a couple hours , ALL Set
  • get aget

Get a dog to find the leak..
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Laser ....

i recall donating my first edition laser and fiber optics hand book to the Geo physical library in like 1980 or 81 ...been a while ....prior to that in the 60's the security of com cables under the oceans was a big deal so i read up on that back then .. i am inclined to think that while some technology is available on the planet it might be somewhat security sensitive .

we have ultra sound , we have flir , pressure and vac , we have the see snakes with continuous connecting pieces these days . i am also inclined to think he is referring to that tool . perhaps in conjunction with some specific magnetic tracking devise something close to an exact location might be possible .

Like Mark , i have never seen the system tool that does that . because it is something that would likely require two people to operate it wouldn't be something that i'd invest in as people would want it for free and there would probably be a "Learning curve" on said devise /es .
This discussion has been closed.