Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

blower assembly

Options
Doing job tomorrow, replacing blower assy. which includes replacing dual blower wheels ,shaft, brackets which hold bearings ...posted pic below of bearing ...i believe they are sleeve bearings correct me if im wrong...wanted to know if anyone has any tips on a job like this ...its a split 20 ton carrier system...thanks Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2013
    Options
    A few things

depending, you might be in/out in a hour or maybe five. 2x4 ,4x4 ,sawzall, files, hammers, ,punches, sand cloth  , rust bust , autoball joint forkS, black pipe T - able to slide over the shaft, blk pipe nipples - longer than shaft to bearing,  rags , BIG screwdrivers, pully puller's, pipe wrenches, grease gun, oiler ,regular tool box w/ allen wrench's both metric and regular, etc.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    bearings

ball bearing and set collar      start by checking new parts make sure shaft is straight and there are keyways or flat sots in shaft. Sand and put rust dissolver on shaft by bearings, cut shaft and remove old wheels, install new wheels , slide shaft through wheels  dont forget set collars which I like on inside of bearings , you can move shaft back and forth to install bearings,   bearings are removed and instlled in bracket by turning 90 degrees,   tighten blower wheels on shaft, reinstall blower pulley
    RJ
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    thanks

Thanks guys for responses....David do you know name of that book Carrier makes? Thanks Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited November 2013
    Options
    blower assembly

Forgot about AntiSieze.How long did it take, how many techs, shaft size , bearing size? I KindaSorta like doing a job like that !
  • Mike M
    Mike M Member Posts: 34
    edited November 2013
    Options
    CV joint

Some of the large carriers I've done have a CV joint between two shafts.  Your idea of just replacing the whole thing (shaft, bearings, blower wheels, sheave, is definitley the way to go. You wont need alot of that other stuff seeing your going to toss all but the basket housings. Plan on a day doing it. Some of the carrier shafts go large in the middle but are hollow.  Take off the top and take the baskets and all out in one piece, and work on the ground with your Saw-Zall and screw gun.  On the new shaft , the cosmoline can be removed with WD-40 and some rags.  Have new keys for the shaft also. a good staight edge to align the pulley and sheave. Amp the motor when done to make sure your under the nameplate amp draw on the motor, If not, adjust (open/close) the sheave till you are. Use Never Seize on the shaft, especially if your the one to service this equipment in the future.
This discussion has been closed.