Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

modular steam boilers for multifamily hi-rise

I am looking at a boiler upgrade for a multi-family hi-rise that currently has a 200 BHP oil-fired (No. 6) fire-tube boiler with two-pipe steam distribution. Fuel conversion is definitely on the table, and I am considering No. 2 diesel, biofuel blends, and natural gas.

I also want to look at the possibility of replacing this fire-tube boiler with several modular boilers. I have read Dan's article on the importance of near-boiler piping and isolation on the return side, but I would like the benefit of others' experience. Does anyone know of case studies that are available, or do you have direct experience with such a conversion that you could relate?

Also, is anyone aware of any additional challenges that a modular steam system might present for installation in NYC?

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    For case studies...

...your best bet is to contact Con Ed's Gas Conversion Group and see what they have available:

Tel: 1.800.643.1289
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Tim_Hodgson
    Tim_Hodgson Member Posts: 60
    Most manufacturers

will have case studies and piping arrangements for modular steam systems. Most of the problems I have encountered are due to contractors not following the manufactures recommendations.

Good Luck,

Timothy Hodgson
This discussion has been closed.