Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

residential internet control

I have several customers with second homes. They want (I think quite reasonably) to be able to both monitor and control the heating thermostats remotely via the internet.

All have interent access (non dial up) in their second homes. Their position, at its simplist) is that if they forgot to turn the heat down before they leave they want ro log on and do so wherever they are. Most wish to keep the heat very very low (in the winter time) and should they desire to visit turn the temp up before they come.

Anyone with experience with this??
Any leads would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    Honeywell

Aren't the new wireless controls by Honeywell capapble of this? I have not installed any, so I don't have first hand knowledge. Bryan
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Ecobee

Ecobee has a new smartstat out that is internet accessible and is VERY slick. It is all touch screen much like that of an I-phone and it is at a very modest price point.

www.Ecobee.com

Paul

• bobbyg_17
    bobbyg_17 Member Posts: 9

Paul,
    Wow, the Ecobee looks like just the thing for vacation homes. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob
  • bb_11
    bb_11 Member Posts: 39
    Inovex

they were recently purchased by Taco.

I have seen a demo, and it is slick.l

bb
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    internet control

We have used TCS Baysis controls for this.

Mike
  • Internet controls

The Innovex/Taco line is great stuff, being reworked since we acquired the company.  Please call Tom Polanski at Taco (401-942-8000.)    You're going to love what you see.  I promise!!

jw
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Are they willing to change the boiler?

You could give them all that and more with a Viessmann. Gas or Oil?
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Bucko
    Bucko Member Posts: 11
    Tekmar 483 Gateway

Tekmar also has internet capabilities. Lots of cool features. The systems I have worked on work well.
  • MikeBoston
    MikeBoston Member Posts: 1
    Tekmar 483 Gateway

Does anyone have direct experience with the Tekmar 483 Gateway; I am trying to install one and can't get the graphing to work properly

Thanks, Mike
  • Henry_NYC
    Henry_NYC Member Posts: 2
    several zone scentrally controlled and online

Is there a way to connect more than one zone to the web? I have an 8 zone system (Argo ) and would love to upgrade to a centrally controlled and networked setup.

Seems like WIFI thermostats can do it but only for a one - two zones setting.

I am not attached to ARGO, i will replace control boards anyways
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Another brand is HBX.

Any experience with HBX controls? I like the idea of a wireless outdoor sensor.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    All sounds very interesting...

although I have no experience with these things myself (there is, with very rare exceptions, always someone on the property at my place).

I would, however, make one comment: check on the security of these things.  It might not be too bad if all they control is whether the heat is on or off.  But, at the risk of sounding paranoid, if they can report that the heat is turned way down, it suggests that no one is home -- and if the devices aren't truly secure, it would be quite possible for someone who might be a little less than honest, perhaps, to find out and clean the place out.

Same with internet cameras -- make sure they really are secure.  No sense in showing the bad guys a beautiful picture of a house where it is obvious that no one is home!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Peteys
    Peteys Member Posts: 79
    Bayweb

I have used Bayweb for many years. Works great and they have excellent customer service, not that you'll need. And just a few hundred dollars for the whole setup.
This discussion has been closed.