Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Vent Issues

I've got an Intrepid Direct Vent Boiler system installed in the house I recently bought. We've had the house for about a year and have constantly had issues with an exhaust like smell filling our basement when it runs. I've had a local guy come take a look at it. He resealed the entire thing and cleaned it. That helped for a month or two, but the smell remained. Now that the boiler is starting to run more, we are getting a stronger smell again. Any suggestions on what to do or how to resolve this issue? The vent is to the north, which I have read can cause some of the issue from not being able to properly vent when windy. However, we get the smell no matter if it's windy or not.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    My good man...

if you are getting a smell, you may very well also be getting combustion gas.  Carbon Monoxide.  Which is, by itself, odourless -- and lethal.

Step 1: if it's not to dang cold out, turn the boiler off and get yourself to a decent store and pick up a carbon monoxide detector -- most big box handyman stores have them -- and install it and turn it on.

Step 2: turn the boiler back on.  If the carbon monoxide detector goes off, turn it off and leave it off until someone can fix the problem.  Better cold and lively, than permanently cold.

Step 3: whether the carbon monoxide detector goes off or not, find an oil burner man who is really good and get him out to diagnose and fix the problem.  It may not be enough combustion air -- that's quite possible.  Or it may be something more complicated.  But get it fixed.  Resealing, obviously, isn't going to fix the problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Can you give....

us more info? Pictures? Are there any numbers w/ the combustion test? kcopp
This discussion has been closed.