Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

bury pex heating lines?

Options
Max_4
Max_4 Member Posts: 4
Hi. Part of our house is on a slab and currently doesn't have enough heat. I was thinking of running some new pex heating lines underground to the addition. One issue is that I'd rather continue to use straight water in the system. So, if I insulate the pex, does it need to be below the frost line?

Thanks,

Max

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,290
    Options
    A suggestion slightly off topic...

...is that you put your well-insulated water lines in conduit.  Earth is essentially always wet and is a wonderful heat sink!  The moisture, even with insulated lines, will carry off loads of heat.  If you keep the lines in conduit, you'll prevent that loss and be able to get to the lines if needed.   Others will have to comment on depth of burial and frost line, though if the water flow stops, it must become the same temperature as the surrounding soil in a few hours or less.

Yours,  Larry
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Indeed you should

bury the lines below frost.  Why?  Because if you are running straight water in them, and the flow stops long enough, they will freeze.  And unfreezing a buried PEX line is no fun.

Larry' suggestion to put them in conduit is a very good one, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.