Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

loop of steam boiler(jstar/jamie)?

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Hi guys,I was on a job yesterday where a basement baseboard loop was taken of a steam boiler.I have a quick ? on it.Plumber came out of boiler. 2x 3/4 bushing,6"nipple ,and 3/4 tee.Run of tee he has his boiler drain,bull of tee he has ball valve and then starts his heating loop.Coming back to boiler he heating loop goes into a pump then check and taps into the bottom of wet return.

It was my understanding that he should have came back into boiler directly.What I am seeing is (and am probably completly wrong) is that when the circ is running will the water bypass the return pipe going up to hartford loop and stay in wet return making it run against returning condensate from system.Hope I am making sense.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Are the tappings for suplly and return

on opposite sides of the boiler ? I've done it this way a few times because some boilers have no extra tappings to connect a zone of water heat . If the tappings are in the same boiler section down low I'm not sure if it'll work too well . Was the zone heating up ? Was there an aquastat in the boiler ? Alot better to take the supply from the aquastat port in my opinion . 
  • jonny88
    loop of steam

There is tappings on either side of boiler for both supply and return.also when the zone runs there is some nasty banging right at the Hartford loop.there is a 4 inch nipple there though but it only bangs when zone is running.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    4 inch nipple

Is that nipple horizontal out of the Hartford Loop tee ?  Does it bang only when the boiler is steaming ? What height is that tee in relation to the normal water line ?  And what size piping is the equalizer and HL ?

If the tee is at the right height it sounds like the return water is shooting a little up the equalizer and hitting steam . It might have to be repiped into the boiler itself .

Is there an aquastat for the zone ? 
  • jonny88
    HL

Yep it's a 4 inch nipple between tee and ell,where it should be close nipple.Thermostat turns on pump.Of the header its a bullheaded tee with 2in going to system and 1/14 equalizer and Hartford loop.I see what you are saying about water shooting up,makes sense.Thanks Ron.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Loop

Sounds to me like the Hartford Loop Tee is too high.

I like to return hydronic loops into the wet return and take my supply from the middle of the boiler, like Ron Jr does.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
This discussion has been closed.