Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump Compressor Diagnosis - Building Fire

dfru
dfru Member Posts: 27
Some HVAC package unit compressors were exposed to high heat during a fire in an adjacent structure. Concerns have been raised that the HVAC equipment was damaged due to the heat. One technician raised the concern that the equipment needs to be replaced due to possible acid formation in the oil. The equipment looks completely fine. There are no charred or melted parts. We plan on taking oil samples to check for acidity.

Questions:

1.If high levels of acid are found, then will the units require replacement, or could the refrigerant and oil be removed and flushed from the system, and replaced?

2. If acid is found, will the compressors or any other components require replacement or adjustment?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    compressor

The internal overload may have been compromised
    RJ
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Repair or replace?

The condition of the “refrigerant” is your big concern.

If it was heated enough to change the state to a phosgene gas that system may have to be replaced. Only the tech on site along with chemical analyses can make the decision can it be cleaned (is it worth it) or replace the system.
  • phosgene gas =

another name for mustard gas, a banned chemical weapon!--NBC
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I had a job....

a few yrs back that was a small fire in a basement that a disgruntled ex-boyfriend set. It melted the boiler wiring and a few of the boiler controls. The boiler (Smith 8 series steamer) was 1 yr old that I had installed. The home owner was asking for repair work and I really was not comfortable w/ the "what if factor". I said I would be happy to repair it if the insurance company would give me a letter waiving me, my supply-house and the boiler Mfg of any liability if there was ever a problem w/ the boiler down the road. The insurance company was happy to have me replace the boiler.... You may find yourself in the same boat. I hate to be that way but in our litigious society where its "sue 1st ask questions later" we sometimes have to think that way.
This discussion has been closed.