Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Burnham V7 question

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
Well last winter I had a V7 with a cracked heat exchanger. I posted the issue here and received quite a bit of feedback. I gathered the problem stemmed from thermal shock. The V7 had a real thin section in it's casting and it cracked a lot.

Well now I've been presented with a project to move a perfectly fine V7 to a garage so as to make room for a laundry room. I have an idea and was wondering if it's worth the trouble. Here it is.

Would piping it P/S eliminate or at least mitigate the cracking problem? I think the HO is going to question the whole thing. A buffer tank or hydraulic separator would be a tough sell. Just looking for some affirmation.THX.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Minimizing thermal shock

I'd be looking at a thermostatic boiler protection valve (ESBE, Caleffi, LK) to start with.  Outdoor reset control will also help.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Sounds like a budget project

I'd suggest a simple bypass between the supply and return . The Burnham V8 manual shows how to pipe one in .

I've also heard the problem with the V7s were sections near the cleanouts were cast too square and thin . And water flowing past there eroded the iron .
This discussion has been closed.