Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SYSTEM PRESSURE --need assistance,

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
 TEN STORY RESIDENTIAL BLDG.  two pipe h.w heating  system  w/ steel pipe & slant fin baseboard radiation. what would   recommended . system pressure &  pressure relief valves. two weil-mclain cast iron boilers  [1,632,00 btu ] each.   conventional closed expansion tank on roof . radiation have self -bleeders. 

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Pressure

You'll need about 45 psi cold fill to reach the top of the highest radiator. Add a little safety margin and call it 50. The relief valve will then need to be 75 psi, if the boilers can handle that pressure.
  • bob young
    YSTEM PRESSURE --need assistance,

thanx for the speedy response, joe   is there a formula or figure roughly 5# every ten ft. storey height. have not done any multi story jobs in over twenty or thirty years. new acct. i picked up with nothing but problems but i will prevail !!  thanx again.  bob young nyc lic. plbr.  
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    .434 PSI per vertical foot of elevation...

Plus 5 PSI.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • bob young
    SYSTEM PRESSURE --need assistance, thanx mark

thanx mark. been a while , hope all is well with you. do you concur with the 75 # relief valve ? just want to do some quick preliminary research before i jump into this job. need to refresh my memory a little been doing mostly plumbing & residential gas & steam work lately. friend of mine asked me to get involved with this job so you know we can never turn down a challenge !! are the self bleeders a potential problem on the radiation . i think they also have some spiro vents on some of the risers but i have not seen that yet. thanx again. bob
  • 10 story system

Were there any particular problems with this system, which you need to solve?

Some Dawn detergent added to the water may get the air out. As it would be difficult to know how much to add, some sort of port could be piped in to enable adding the detergent, or any other chemical without draining down part of the system.--NBC
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    pressure

Sounds like the good old systems , compression tanks allowed somewhere for the air to go,     what do you mean by self bleeders, if they are auto air vents they should be valved off after initial fill of system
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.