Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stainless vs stone lined on long island(Mr O' Brien)

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
Hi,

I really like using Burnham Alliance indirect and have had zero problems with it.I am about to change my system over.I was told on long island the water is pretty hard on stainless indirects like a superstore.Any truth to this.Thanks in advance.I am putting in a IBC boiler and was looking for your thoughts on a indirect......

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    It's true for L.I.

We've been replacing quite a lot of stainless indirects still under warantee or just outside of warantee . My own tank in tank stainless started to leak after 5 years .

Glass lined indirects and aquaboosters have been lasting just as long or longer than their stainless counterparts around here .  Been using the Burnham SL for 5 to 7 years , haven't had to remove a leaker yet .  But man are they heavy !
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    One of the ....

reasons that Glass lined WH lasts longer is the Anode rod. HTP does not put them in their SuperStors. Weil-mclain is starting to put them in their Aqua-plus SS water htrs. A big plus in my opinion.
  • Just curious.........

How would a Viessmann indirect stand up to these hard water conditions.Yes, they are stainless steel, less the anode rod, but those Germans, you know:  they figure these things out.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Burnham Alliance Stone Lined

No anode, not required. Water conditions will not affect these tanks, also replaceable coils if needed down the road.

I have installed many with absolutely no problems.
  • kcopp
    The stone lined....

water heaters are not w/o issues. Vaughn/Cepco who makes that unit(Top Performer)  has had 3 versions of the Top Coil set up out there. Lots of leakers here in NH. They may have figured it out
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    S120

We use a lot of Buderus S120 with zero problems,no experience with Vaughn but  have heard good things about them. Stainless doesn't seem to hold up on LI for some reason,chlorides,I've been told
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Vitocell 300

The stainless both in gauge and construction is in a league of it's own ( so is the price!) I think it would fare very well here
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Where do they leak ?

The tank itself or the coil ? Or the gasket ? They really beefed up the gasket for Burnham SL .  Recovery is slower than other coil style indirects , but I'll take longer recovery over less longevity any day !
  • kcopp
    gasket ...

on the coil. They used to ship it w/ the coil separate. Then changed the design so you couldn't over tighten. Then shipped it complete. I had to swap out a number of coils for the new design....Just changed out a leaking tank in January. It had 11 years on it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Chloride tolerance

varies widely among stainless alloys.  Definitely above my pay grade, but worth paying attention to http://www.al6xn.com/corrosionresistance.php
This discussion has been closed.