Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to wire duct fan to Carrier 58MVC100-20 furnace?

Beachbum
Beachbum Member Posts: 3
Hello.  I hope someone can help me.

I want to wire a Suncourt 6" in-line duct fan into my duct to help boost airflow to an upstairs bedroom.  I want to hardwire it to the blower motor so it only comes on when the blower is on.  I have a Carrier Infinity 58MVC100-20 furnace.  It has a "variable speed" blower.  

I simply want to splice into the correct two wires at the blower motor harness(es) to connect the standard house wire that I ran from the Suncourt fan to the blower.  So very simply I need to connect the black wire to something and the white wire to something, and of course ground it.    

There are 2 wiring harnesses that plug into the blower motor.  One is a 4 pin, and the other is a 5 pin.  They are described below:

The 4 pin harness is marked +V (red wire), Tx (yellow wire), Rx (blue wire) and C (green wire).

The 5 pin harness is marked L (black wire), N (white wire), Ground (green and yellow wire), and the last two pins are jumped with a short piece of yellow wire.

Again, I want the in-line duct fan to ONLY COME ON WHEN THE BLOWER IS RUNNING, both for heating and cooling. 

Can someone tell me which two wires I need to splice into?

Thank you! 

Comments

• HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Not that way

Since you have a infinity furnace with a variable speed motor you can not wire to the motor leads easily because its a DCV variable speed.

Look on the circuit board for a neutral connection (N) and one marked EAC ( electronic air cleaner) this will give you 120 volts switched on whenever the fan is running in heat or cool. Attach with 2 spade clips
  • Beachbum
    Almost there...

Thanks HDE.  I looked at the circuit board and see an empty male terminal marked "EAC-1" that is next to 2 other black wires connected to the board.  So I assume that is where my black wire should go.

And there is an empty male terminal marked "EAC-2" in the Neutral2 block (outlined with a white line) on the board, next to 5 other white wires plugged into the Neutral2 block.  So I guess this is where my white wire goes.

And I assume I can ground my ground wire to any nearby screw on the furnace chassis.

Is this all correct?  Just want to make sure I don't fry something!

Thanks again...
  • VictoriaEnergy
    VictoriaEnergy Member Posts: 126
    add ad relay...

Check the amperage rating of the fan, if it's near or above 1 amp, then the EAC1 & 2 should power a relay 120VAC coil and then run a separate L1 through the relay contact to the fan and then back to the L2.

The contacts for EAC are for an Electronic Air Cleaner and are only rated 1A max.  Overload them and you get to buy a new furnace control board...
    Home Owners Please Note:

You are receiving advice from some very skilled pros completely free of charge. One of the reasons I participate is to sharpen my own troubleshooting skills. So; did we get it right? I would be grateful if you extend this courtesy back by posting the final outcome of the issue you are inquiring about. Thanks
  • HDE
    Duct booster

Your using an axial inline duct boost fan from suncourt right?

Well below an amp

Black Lead - Connect to HOT (L1) or EAC-1 when provided.

White Lead - Connect to Neutral (L2) or EAC-2 when provided.

Green/Ground Lead - Connect to Appliance Ground (Chassis)
  • Beachbum
    All done...THANKS!

Just finished wiring it up and my little Suncourt purrs like a kitten every time the blower comes on.  The duct fan only draws .35 amps, well under the 1 amp max., so that turned out to be a non-issue. 

So I wired it exactly like you said...black to EAC-1, white to EAC-2, and ground to the chassis.  My furnace even had a knock-out plug on the metal box that houses the circuit board, so I ran my 14-2 house wire through that and secured it with a cable connector for a nice, neat installation.  Added female terminals to the two wires and plugged 'em in...grounded the ground wire to a handy screw on the chassis...Done!

Many, many thanks to both of you for your help.         
  • HKevin
    HKevin Member Posts: 4
    Quick question regarding this

I have an Carrier infinity furnace as well and have the same control board. I can easily hook up the fans to the board but I have 2 fans each at .35amps. (still under the 1amp max)

Is it safe to go ahead and tie in on the EAC1 and EAC2 being at .7amps or should I do a relay just in case? If I should do a relay can you point me to the right one? (I can wire it but not sure which to buy)

Thanks in advance!
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Duct fan's

I would be worried about "start up amps' w/ two duct motors. The EAC does not have "start up amps".
  • HDE
    If Concerned

Small residential duct booster fans with shaded pole motors don't draw much but you can use a RIB Relay

http://ribrelays.com/c41/Relays.htm

120V coil/120v contacts SPDT or SPST or DPST or DPST- all will work

The relay with the override switch is nice for turning fans off
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Relay

We did this for an old guy on a Rheem, dang booster damaged to board. From now on, RELAY!
  • HKevin
    edited October 2013
    Ready, believe I know the answer but want to confirm..please help

I have wired up one of my fans as was listed. (EAC-1 and EAC-2) I now want to wire the second fan and a relay (I finally got around to buying the relay) and want to confirm the wiring connections.

I bought a 5 pin, 120V relay - White Rodgers 90-294Q. (see attached picture)

I believe that what I want to do is:

Pin # 1 - Connect the EAC-1

Pin # 3 - Connect to EAC-2 AND neutral to fan

Pin # 2 - Connect to Black Wire (Hot) Coming into Furnace

Pin # 4 - Connect to Hot Wire out to Fan

Is this right? Please let me know the right way to connect this to the furnace listed in this post.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
  • HKevin
    Bump

Anyone able to confirm?

Thanks in advance!
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,257
    yes

Yes you're correct ....1 & 3.....is the relay coil connected to the EAC terminals from board.....and 2&4 is a normally open Dry contract you run 120 v through to power fan Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    [email protected]
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • HKevin
    Big thanks to Paul!

Paul,

Thank you for confirming the wiring. I thought I had it right but wanted to verify before running off and doing it.

Things are running smooth and I have a warm room now :)
This discussion has been closed.