Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I was warned

in class about the blended freons causing problems w/ O sings, Schrader inserts, and some of the other stuff inside refrigerant control devices. So, I replaced a refrigeration cond unit/TXV and added R-422b , the next day I replaced a leaking LL solenoid valve. Then I put the same Freon into a 20 year old res system ,new Schrader inserts, and the next day the suction service valve is leaking .

Does anyone else see the same results w/ other r22 replacements?

Comments

• steamy ray vaughn
    steamy ray vaughn Member Posts: 30
    422b problems

we used it on a 30 unit for a compressor change out and the new compressor shelled out with in 2 hours and $10,000 later.  Trane will not warranty any unit with 422 due to oil return problems.  they claim 5-8% eff loss but with a 12 degree temp drop it's more like 25-28%  we quit using it for good.  Nothing like r-22
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    NU22b

We have a couple units in our service area using it, we didn't put it in though one was a unit I sold. Marginally sized and cooled fine. ICOR's office is cooled with a hodge podge of residential splits, all with their gas in them.

Trane says if you just have to use an alternative, use 438a and add POE oil for oil return purposes. I wonder how many guys using the alternatives do that. Could run into problems if they don't.

With the price of 22 these days, might as well use the genuine article.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Leaks, destruction, mayhem.....

While I have seen R422b and read the TP chart, why would anyone consider using this ref. when many others are within 1.5% rating on TP chart as compared to R-22?  NU-22B is much closer and oil remains the same.  Currently experimenting with mixing R-22 and NU-22b to see operation and outcome.  Still doing research and testing to put fourth some kind of educated opinion.  It's crazy how many new ref. selections are available.  As far as leaks, "o" rind destruction, etc... haven't seen any.

Peace;

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.