Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace access

I am looking to replace my furnace and have had 2 different people come out to give me a bid. Current access to my furnace is from my bathroom. The first company did not mention any need to move the access. But, the second company said it is against code to have any furnace access from a bathroom and insisted I move the access to another wall. I am wondering if this is accurate before I go any further. I would prefer to do things the right way, but don't want to pay more money than I have if it is not necessary.

I am in Utah, if codes vary by state.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Code

Call your town hall and talk to an inspector. I've never heard of that code before, here in NJ.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited August 2013
    J Star

would be correct about calling the local authority .  The International fuel gas code and mechanical codes do however state that no combustion appliance be installed in a bathroom . These are the approved model codes in NJ . They may also be used in Utah but I am not sure , they are very widely adopted model codes though .  The reason behind this is that if the exhaust fan is on in the bathroom it will pull flue gases back into the space putting occupants in danger of asphyxiation .  Good for the contractor that pointed that out , even if it's not in your states adopted code .  If the furnace you want installed draws it's combustion air from outdoors though this is not an issue .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    combustion air

Rich is right, bathroom exh. fans can cause flue draft problems, i have seen it time and time again especially when a customer remodels a bldg and installs a restaurant with exh fans.  The right mechanical/furnace room should have a high and low opening to the outside preferably 1 inch per 1000 btus each 1 ft. off floor and 1 ft from ceiling.  these numbers will change if you have inside air combined with outside air. and a condensing furnace.   check your local mechanical code or the international mech. code ( pdf on yahoo )
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.