Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need writing help?

KellyH
KellyH Member Posts: 14
Hey, Wallies!

Having grown up with a father like Dan Holohan, I know what it takes to write well AND what it takes to succeed in your industry.  I know that you work hard, have great ideas, and want your business to look and sound smart.  I also know that you're really busy.  That's where my company, S&D Writing Services, comes in!  Do you have bright ideas but just need the words to make them come alive?  Do you have the words but need a sharp set of eyes to spruce them up and make them shine?  Do you need help figuring out just the right way to word that business letter, brochure, or newsletter?  Do you want your website to include informative content written in an engaging and professional way?  I can help!  Check out my website at <a href="http://www.sdwritingservices.com/">www.sdwritingservices.com</a> or email me at <a href="mailto:sdwritingservices@gmail.com">sdwritingservices@gmail.com</a>.  Let's work together to make your business brilliant in print. 

Yours in good grammar,

Kelly Holohan Hochbein
Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

www.sdwritingservices.com

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I suggested Kelly post this here.

Mainly because she's remarkable, oh so talented when it comes to words, and because I'm so crazy about her The Lovely Marianne and I decided to have her first.

She can help you look even better than you do now. Hire her.
    Retired and loving it.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Can"t help myself

Dan, I think you left out a comma between her and The. Good luck to Kelly and greater Holohan family.
  • DanHolohan
    Yeah.

Which is where Kelly comes in. :)
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Big ad on the floor of the D.C. Metro

See the mistake?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    Everyday

Everyday should be every day.

- DF
  • DanHolohan
    Yes.

Everyday people make that mistake every day.
    Retired and loving it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Another mistake.....

When people post here as if they were texting, the impression given is not that of a complete professional. Maybe your campaign should be to contact those posters, and offer them some tips on better communication. I always think of someone who cannot add in the extra 2 letters to make "u" into "you" a knucklehead.

This website is blessed with some of the best engineering communicators I have seen, and it would be nice to keep it that way!--NBC
  • DanHolohan
    Proposals and ads

I think when there are spelling and grammar mistakes in proposals and ads the prospective customer gets the impression that the person behind the proposal or ad is not someone who is good with details, and that reflects poorly (fairly or unfairly) on the sort of work they might do. The pro doesn't get the job and never suspects why.

So easily avoided.
    Retired and loving it.
  • KellyH
    Good writing makes your business look so much better.

If you don't take the time to present yourself well in print, it makes customers wonder where else you might cut corners.  I have walked away from restaurants because of a sloppily-written menu.  If the restaurant is lazy with its print material, it might not be so careful with its food preparation!  This holds true in every business. 

I spot mistakes in writing so easily that sometimes I feel like the grammar equivalent of the kid in the movie "The Sixth Sense."  "I see comma splices!" 

If you want smart-looking newsletters, brochures, letters, or website content, I can help! 

Kelly
    Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

• KellyH
    Even newspapers make mistakes...

This weekend our local newspaper had a headline that mentioned a township's plans to seek grants for a "Costo" project.  The article then detailed efforts to fund a Costco-anchored shopping center.  Even newspapers sometimes make (and miss) mistakes.  "What's a Costo?"  I wondered.  It's a good thing this article wasn't trying to sell me something!    
    Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

• Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    I'll never forget...

...the Help Wanted ad my then-local newspaper in Yonkers, New York ran sometime around the late 1960s.  It sought a "poof reader."  :-)
  • DanHolohan
    Too funny!

Of is it two funny? ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • KellyH
    Hmmm...

They seemed to be stating the obvious.  I sure hope they found one!
    Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

• KellyH
    That Tricky "Your"

I just saw a billboard for a local used car business on I-78.  It featured their website, which included "your approved".  Now the misused "your" is in their domain name AND on their large and expensive billboard!  They should have used a proofreader!  
    Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

• DanHolohan
    Spotted this in Breckenridge, CO last week.

Makes you wonder about their attention to detail, doesn't it?
    Retired and loving it.
  • KellyH
    Go (Proofread Your Work) Irish!

Oh, the horror!  My beloved Notre Dame printed beverage cups for their home opener against Temple last weekend with "Figthing Irish". 

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/gamedayKickoff0905/week-2

This isn't the first time ND has made a spelling mistake.  My husband's diploma (and the diplomas of all graduates that year) had a typo - the word "chairman" was misspelled.  I can't imagine what it must have cost to reprint that many diplomas on parchment.  Yikes!

At least they won the game.  :) 

Figthing for an error-free print world,

Kelly 
    Kelly Holohan Hochbein

S&D Writing Services

This discussion has been closed.