Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Backwashing domestic tankless coil

Options
HydroNiCK
HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
Hello everyone and Hi Ken Resnick,

I was recently bonding with my parents boiler and noticed there is a loop installed to backwash the coil.  How do I go about doing this?  The coil is 20 years old and I'm still getting sufficient hot water from it.  However, since i'm fascinated by heating and would like to practice my skills, and can't leave well enough alone... I am thinking about back washing it.  Now, I know how to backwash the coil with cold water but How do I do it with chemical?  I searched the wall so please forgive me if this topic already exists (I have a feeling it does)  please link me to it or provide the proper key words I should search ( I tried "backwash coil").  Also, feel free to let me know that i'm an idiot for contemplating using chemical on a coil that still works well.  However even if i don't use the chemical I still would like to know how to run it through.  Could I tie in a tee with a ball valve and male adapter so i could then hook a hose and pump up to the coil?  I would stick the suction end of the pump into the bucket of chemical.  Hook a hose up to the boiler drain on the loop to drain the chemical coming out of the hot side into a bucket therefore recirculating the chemical through my pump back through the coil?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Bonding with a boiler

sounds a bit ephemeral to me, but you might try flushing coil' on http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum/search

Generally speaking, you recirculate treated water (almost always moderately acidic) through the piping or coil until it is free of deposits.  There are subtleties to the process depending on pipe/coil material(s), the deposited materials, and local water conditions.
  • HydroNiCK
    HydroNiCK Member Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks SWEI
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    if it's not broken

don't fix it. You could wind up with a pin hole or two. If you have any doubts, or having issues with hot water, replace it. Years ago acid flushing was done regularly. A lot of coils plugged, leaked, potential health hazard, etc. I know of no one who would take that chance today
  • Steve_152
    Steve_152 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    coil flushing

many years ago, i acid  washed / flushed   many coils....success rate was  about  30 %....i would not try today  because of  possible  health issues if  acid not fully flushed out....  replace the coil, or take to a radiator shop, & have them soak it in a cleaning tank for at least  4  to 6 hours....../    my  $.05    opinion...
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I agree

With the others, if its not broke leave it alone, how water is fine, you want to do something flush it really good, but I wouldn't go running stuff through it and disturbing too much...

You could end up bonding with some pretty stubborn tankless bolts..
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    being a steam guy

I steam clean the coils I deal with during the annual service.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
This discussion has been closed.