Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fire Damaged Package Heat Pump Unit

Options
I am working on a building which was exposed to a fire in an adjacent structure. The HVAC equipment looks fine. No visual signs of burned parts, no warping of metal or plastics, wiring looks fine, no soot accumulation on or inside of the unit, condenser and evaporator coils and fins look fine. The machines use R22 refrigerant.

The question has been raised as to whether high temperatures from the fire could have caused issues with the refrigerant and oil. What temperature would damage the machine? What is the best method for testing if the refrigerant is still re-usable, and if not, what procedures need to be followed to evacuate and clean the refrigerant circuit for refrigerant replacement?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Damaged

I think that if there is no signs of heat damage to the housing and other stuff then there is also no damage to the Freon/oil. What temp does ref oil start to be damaged at? What temp kills the oil? All you service guys should know that!
  • dfru
    dfru Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Fire Damaged Package Heat Pump Unit

Thanks for the feedback Techman. My impression is that you are correct, but there is a technician on the project who is raising the concern, and it may be valid. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    fire damage

I would be concerned about any soldered connections on unit, most fires reach well over 1000 deg F. some solders have a melting point between  750 -1100  deg.F. Some carrier units had a fusible plug on the suction line set to blow if temp./press. got to high.   There are several products to check condition of refrig. oil.    also any residual smoke smell may be trapped in unit and duct insulation  You should have a visual inspect. by a pro.
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.