Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is a Chimney Liner necessary with a Gas Power Burner?

Rod
Rod Posts: 2,067
Hi- Is a chimney liner required when you install a wet based boiler (or convert one from oil) with a gas power burner?

Thanks!

- Rod

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    I believe

I believe so. It certainly is in Nassau County, NY. The flue gas temperature is still reduced as it would be from a conventional oil to gas conversion, causing condensation in the chimney. Without a SS liner, the chimney could deteriorate. The only exemption I've used before is if the chimney runs through the interior of the house only.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    It depends

Mass code says it is not required unless conditions warrant it. I recommend doing it as a general thing due to the lower flue temps Like Danny mentioned.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Rod
    Chimney Liner with Gas Forced Draft

Thanks guys for your responses. It would seem to me that most of the applicable codes are written with an atmospheric system in mind and I was just wondering whether having a forced draft made a difference.

- Rod
  • Aus
    Aus Member Posts: 5
    Stainless steel versus aluminum

Will an aluminum liner suffice OR is stainless steel the only way to go?
  • Rod
    Aluminum Chimney Liners.

Hi- I would definitely go with stainless steel. I'm not sure why they even have aluminum liners as aluminum corrodes almost if you look at it wrong.  There are also different qualities of stainless steel used for liners. In stainless steel liners, I'm not sure how much actual benefit one would get using a more premium quality over regular 304.

- Rod
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Yes it is different with forced draft

If you look at the charts for chimney size it is smaller for forced draft for the same given btu rating of boiler.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    LINER

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T GET ROBBED. LOTS OF UNSCRUPULOUS  CHIMNEY GUYS AROUND. GET A FEW QUOTES.   bob nyc lic. plbr
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Tile liner?

On our system, the original 1909 chimney is located on the interior of the house and does build up a little heat.  The chimney is lined with tile.  The boiler(s) have been fired on natural gas since 1954 and there does not appear to be any detioration.  I have to note though, that the old Pennco really kept the chimney hot, and the surrounding walls stayed quite noticeably warm.  The new WM-680 with Riello burner, running on low fire does not make the chimney hot.  There is a little noticeable warmth, but not much. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Running on low fire does not make the chimney hot

Might be interesting to know the flue temp in the top third or so of the chimney.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    3rd floor

The highest point I can touch the chimney is at the 3rd floor level.  The finished all at that point is plaster directly on the chimney.  Warmth can still be detected but not near as much as with the old boiler.  The lower temperatures seem to consistent no matter where you are checking.

Of course, the old boiler was an atmospheric with no flue damper.  When it was running it had pretty high flue temps and when it was not, there was still a huge draft throught the boiler and up the chimney.  The new boiler runs with lower flue temperatures and the new power burner has a little inlet damper that completely closes when the burner shuts down.  So, the off time flow of heat up the chimney is reduced to near zero.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    ANSI 21.8 Installation of Domestic Gas Burners since

2002 requires the chimney to be lined.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    TIM rules

the man has spoken. listen to him. i for one ALWAYS do !!  bob nyc lic. plbr
This discussion has been closed.