Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding second hydronic loop to system

Steve Garson_2
Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
I want to add a second hydronic loop to add a zone to the heating system. Can I simply install a 3/4-inch tee before the circulator to feed the second circulator with flow-check?  Or do I need to create a manifold?

Steve Garson

Newton, MA
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Is the first zone 3/4 inch ?

Does the piping come out of the boiler in 3/4 too ?  Can you post a pic of the existing setup ? You could just add a tee before the circ but the smaller piping might limit the BTUs to the zones . Depending on how big the zones are . 
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Photo

The pipe from the Spirovent is 3/4-inch.  I was thinking of inserting a Tee before the circulator. The question being whether the Tee can carry the water straight through to the present loop, with the new loop as the take-off.  Or would it be better to install the Tee so that both loops were connect to the Tee and an elbow.  Present loop heats 9000 BTU with baseboard.  New loop will heat 12,000 BTU radiant loop with separate circulator and tempering valve to keep the water temp at the correct level.

This is actually the output of a Everhot heat exchanger connected to a steam boiler.  Have confirmed that the heat exchanger has plenty of excess capacity,

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Sketch?

The addition of a tempering valve makes me want to see a bit more.

thanks~ 
  • Steve Garson_2
    Piping Diagrams

Attached are two piping diagrams.  One is the present configuration with a single hot water loop to a baseboard zone.  The second is the one that I am looking for feedback, which is the addition of a zone for the radiant zone, which presently, is running off a coroded Combicore (my second in nine years!)
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Possible

Steve,

In the second pic, I would swap Mixing valve with circ so it mixes first then circulates through the tubing. But it should work other than that from what I saw when I looked.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve Garson_2
    The Tee

Thanks for your insight. My final question is the configuration of the Tee that I will be installing. If I install it so that the flow is straight through to the present circulator, it is an easier plumbing job. My instinct tells me that the correct way is to install the Tee with the flow diverting to both ends of the Tee into elbows and then to the circulators.

Does it matter? Or is my instinct correct?

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    why split before the pump?

use two zone valves and split after the circulator but before the mixing valve.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Using one circulator instead of two

My concern is that the present baseboard loop is very short, as in ten feet from the circulator, with twenty feet of baseboard.  The radiant loop is fed by 35' feet of 3/4 pipe on the feed and on the return.  So I think the water would take the shortest path if both zone call for heat, with the radiant not getting much water.

Thoughts?

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Tom_133
    You Got it

Steve,

I would say you have a good plan, the second pic with the swap of the circ and mixing valve will work fine. Piping is pretty forgiving and what you have if it's easier should work great.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Charlie from wmass
    Have you checked your required flow rates?

and compared them to the output of the pump? I was once a pump addict. I wanted a pump for every zone. I had no faith in pump curves. The thing is why run the extra pump if one will do the work? Yes water is lazy and takes the easy route. The response time on the fin tube should have it off much of the time with the radiant doing the slow and steady. I am looking at the photo you posted and it looks easier to cut in after the circulator then before it. `Both methods will work. I am just offering a different perspective.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Charlie from wmass
    I just found your other post in radiant heating

that little copper coil may not like the velocity you are asking using two pumps. Also you are supplying it with heat from only one taco 007 pumping condensate, how is that going to handle the output? I am assuming from the photos you are a DIYer and you did that piping yourself right?

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Charlie from wmass
    I just found your other post in radiant heating

that little copper coil may not like the velocity you are asking using two pumps. Also you are supplying it with heat from only one taco 007 pumping condensate, how is that going to handle the output? I am assuming from the photos you are a DIYer and you did that piping yourself right?

cell # 413-841-6726
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    First Off

Radiant and baseboard should have different design delta-t's. The first question is what is the required flow rate needed for the baseboard and what is the required flow rate for the radiant? Your main better be able to carry the total flow rate before you split off into that tee.

Second, should have 12" of straight pipe before you enter those circulators.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Charlie from wmass
    He has a mixing valve for the radiant

the zone valves would be teed before the mixing valve and the return for the baseboard would be after the mixing valve. That way the radiant gets radiant temps and the baseboard gets baseboard temps. It also means only low voltage wiring and no additional relays to turn on any other circulators.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Flow Capacity

The Everhot RH-6 is rated at 6GPM with 35,000 BTU capacity. The GPM is based on 100* rise at 200* boiler temp.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Heat load on baseboard loop and radiant loop

For the baseboard loop: 18-feet of baseboard with a heat-loss of 13,000 BTU. This room takes almost no time to warm up after a call for heat.

The radiant loop has 13,000 BTU of heat loss and four loops of Onyx under the floors
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Steve Garson_2
    Flow rate and BTU

Btu/hr Q = GPM x 500 x Delta-Temp

26,000 BTU = GPM x 500 x 20* = GPM x 10000

GPM = 26,000/10,000 = 2.6 GPM

Everhot RH6 Specs: 35,000 BTU at 6GPM

Delta-Temp = 35,000/(6GPM x 500) = 11.66 delta temp

5GPM gives a 14* delta temp

4GPM gives a 16.5* delta temp

I'm not sure where this is going, since the Everhot specs say there is a 100* rise with 200* water.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    Disagree

With your flow rate. Formula is correct for a 20 degree delta-t but that radiant should be running on a 10 not a 20.

Baseboard Flow = 1.3gpm

Radiant Flow = 2.6gpm
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Gpm

Chris is correct. Your radiant will pull a little less if you are mixing. Either way you are under the 4 gpm your 3/4" pipe can handle. In a perfect world you would pipe this reverse/return or increase your header size for a design of 2 fps. I think it will work as you are planning. You will have trouble finding a circ that will go down low enough for you baseboard loop, you might consider a balancing valve.

The circ on your mixing loop needs to be in the mixing loop. The way you have drawn it, the circ will dead head as soon as the loop comes up to temp. All circulation will stop.

As Chris mentioned, do not put 90's and tees near the inlet side of the circs. I think the rule is 12 pipe diameters. In your case that would be 9".

Don't worry about the 100 degree rise from everhot. That is just the number they are using for their gpm calcs. Gpm x delta t x 500 =btu/hrs will alway be the formula. They are basing their gpm on a delta t of 100 . This is for dhw production.. Your design will be different since you are using it for heating.

Happy piping,

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Charlie from wmass
    Thanks guys I missed the mistake in the drawing

the circulator is on the wrong side of the mixing valve for the radiant zone. It needs to be inside the radiant side of the loop. Then of course you would need to use two circulators. I was thinking since it was such a small zone you were using a manual mixing valve to roughly set the temp in the radiant zone, since it is an automatic valve the circulator needs to be moved.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Steve Garson_2
    Circulator location

Are you suggesting that the circulator for the radiant should be to the right of the of the mixing valve on my drawing?
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    May I Suggest

The attached for some reading. Should answer all your questions.
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Circulator location

Chris:

Interesting reading.  Everything I've learned has the circulator located right after the expansion tank & air eliminator.  Is locating it as described in that PDF, downstream from the mixing valve flow, the normal and customary design approach?  Or this this  subject with much debate?

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    edited July 2013
    There Is Zero Debate

That the radiant supply circulator must be installed after the mixing valve. The question is, do you need to provide boiler protection from low water temps, ie, less then 140 for a cast iron boiler? If so, then your piping approach should be primary/secondary.
  • Steve Garson_2
    Piping Approach

Yes, this is primary-secondary piping.  No radiant water is getting to the boiler .I checked the instructions for the Taco mixing valve and see that you are 100% correct.  I am fixing work done by a "pro" who did not install the circulator and mixing valve as you describe. 

I think I finally have all the info I need.  Thanks for catching that error.  I will post a new piping diagram with the final design.  I'm actually going to use a plumber. I've just learned that there are plenty of people who don't truly know what they don't know.

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    EDR

Steve,

I looks like you are on the right track. Chris makes a good point about making sure you are protecting the boiler from condensation. Has anyone compared your steam radiator EDR values to the size of you boiler. In other words, does your boiler have enough capacity to service your existing steam system and your new system?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Final Piping Design

Attached is the final piping design, based on all the generous pros who have offered their insight.  My boiler, a WG SGO-4 with a Carlin EZ-Gas has plenty of capacity,  On a design day in the cold of the winter, it runs no more than 20% of the time.  Our house is very well insulated and sealed from air leaks.  The boiler size is based on steam radiator EDR, from the days of no insulation and leaky windows.

If anyone has any more suggestions, I would love it.

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    Won't work

Need a another pump and the piping is wrong.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited July 2013
    Plenty of capacity

How much, in relation to your design-day heat loss?

And I don't think I'm 100% clear -- this is purely a hot water system with no steam?
  • Steve Garson_2
    Heat Loss and Another Circulator?

Chris, The drawing does not display the circulator that feeds the hot water from the steam boiler to the heat exchanger, since that is already installed.  Do I need another?  if so, where?

For heat loss, the building heat loss is 75,000 BTU.  The boiler is steam; WM SGO-4, with a steam rating of 108 MBH and DOE heating capacity of 144MBH.  The steam radiators have a total of 461 square feet of radiation.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    edited July 2013
    See Attached

This is how I would pipe it.
  • Tom_133
    My bad

Steve,

Chris is right I didn't notice it was an everhot heat exchanger when I told you that it would work, I assumed the circle was a boiler with a built in circulator, my bad. His diagram is probably the best design not the cheap and easy way but will work without fail and be the least problematic.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Charlie from wmass
    For the size of system you have

I do not see why your newest diagram would not work. I just would suggest changing the circulator for the steam side to a B&G 100 Bronze.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • CMadatMe
    edited July 2013
    How Would He Get Flow

To the secondary loops his way? He specifically said he was primary/secondary piping.
  • Charlie from wmass
    it is not primary secondary if you look at his other posts

He is using the everhot as a heatexchanger. He has a high temp loop and a low temp loop. He is using a taco 007 to push the water from the steam boiler through the everhot. He is piping the hot water loops off the side that would be the domestic coil.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • Charlie from wmass
    I would usually put the mixing valve

and the circulator on the return from the radiant loops with the circulator pushing into the mixing valve.

cell # 413-841-6726
  • CMadatMe
    Exactly

It has a coil in it. The pump from the steam boiler is only moving btu/ht to the tank. Need one to take it away. The way he has is piped water would never leave it.
  • CMadatMe
    Huh?

Why would water move through the cold water side of the mix valve and give you the proper water temp? Pondering the flow through my mind and all that return water would beat feat for the boiler. It has no reason to go North..
  • Steve Garson_2
    edited July 2013
    Diverter Tee Approach

Chris,

Just so I can understand, why would BTUs not leave the Everhot with my piping diagram pulling water from the Everhot? There are two circulators that I thought would take the BTUs away, one for each zone. I'm not challenging your design, but interested in understanding the reason. By the way, I appreciate the time you've given me on this project. This thread has become an interesting one in many ways. Do you have a preferred brand of diverter tees?

Steve
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • CMadatMe
    Pri/Sec

You specifically stated that you were pri/sec

piping. Your diagram is not proper pri/sec

piping. Water is dumb when both zones call,

where do you think all the flow is going to go

piped as you have it?