Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A call for volunteers

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
Angel Gonzalez is leading a team of volunteers this weekend (7/13 & 7/14) to replace the heating system in 

Christ Presbyterian By the Sea church, which was devastated by Superstorm Sandy. This is an Oil Heat Cares project and the church is at 104 Noel Road, Broad Channel, NY., which is in Queens.

Angel has a crew to install the boiler on Saturday and Al Breda (our friend from Connecticut, who is also president of OESP) is going to work on the baseboard on Saturday and the oil tank on Sunday.

Angel writes, "I still need more people for baseboard and plumbing  work and some low voltage wiring either day. I plan to start the day at 8 am. My cell number is 917-217-4263. I am working on a list of volunteers so please call me if you can help. Thanks and I hope to see you this weekend."

There's no pay for this but you will affect the lives of a lot of people who have had a very tough time. Thanks.
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    I'll give a hand Saturday

Wasn't sure I could make it , but I'm free now . Bob O'Brien was good enough to let me know by email last week about this project . Do you have the address ?
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Volunteer

Unfortunately I cant make it, just moved into a new house,  Ron Jr. if you need an extra B-Tank or some 18AWG for the wiring let me know, I have extra 
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, Ron

Address is in my post above.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Follow up

When this project was first discussed it was thought that OESP would take on a project specifically directed at helping a family victimized by Hurricane Sandy. In the NYC area, most families received assistance from FEMA, but churches, amongst other institutions, did not qualify. So what better way to reach out to many families than by helping them restore their church. So this past weekend, 7/13 and 7/14, several of our chapters came together in Queens, NY to restore the heating system of the Christ by the Sea, Presbyterian Church. . Garden State, Fairfield County, NYC and Long Island were there to install a complete new system. In two days we were able to install a four zone hydronic boiler, a 275 gallon oil tank and approximately 300’ of baseboard.

Through careful planning and by working in mixed teams this project was completed in just two days, most of our volunteers arrived early in the morning and worked a full day until the task was completed. We even had students show up and help install baseboard. This has been one of the best projects for me, and a very worthy cause. I will be so happy to see these folks able to attend mass in their own church, that day is not far away and we had a part in that.

Not only are we grateful to the people worked on this project but we owe a great deal of gratitude to those who donated the supplies and materials needed to make this happen.

· Thank you Peerless boiler for donating the boiler package, you never hesitated when asked

· Thank you Roth for all the Pex tubing and fittings and for offering an oil tank as well

· Thank you Petro for donating the oil tank and for actively participating with a helping hand

· Thank you Taco for the controls, valves and circulators

· Thank you Gil Meyerowitz, a local supplier who donated all the pipe and fittings to install the boiler

· Thank you Sippin Energy for donating the misc. pipe and fittings and use your install truck (and use of Al) to install the oil tank

· Thank you Blackman Supply for the baseboard.

Thank you Guaranteed Chimney for your work on the chimney.

Here's a link to 19 photos in my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mrxchnziplwx6rq/mFA0r_br2p

It It is a great feeling to see so many people who care enough to help, kudos to all, kudos to OIL HEAT CARES.

Thank You

Angel
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.