Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

? about heat loss calc?

Options
sgtmikey
sgtmikey Member Posts: 14
I, hopefully, will be converting from oil to gas in the near future. About 10 years ago I added on to the house and converted my heat to radiant. I had Northeast Radiant Tech. set up my system. Part of that was providing them with all room measurements, window sizing and r values, floor materials, wall insulation, etc. How does that relate to a heat loss calculation?

Rest assured, this will be the first of many questions as I get closer to the actual conversion.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Those

numbers do not relate to a heat loss calc , they ARE a heat loss calc. I don't understand the question maybe
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • sgtmikey
    Options
    Just to clarify

A fair point. They provided me specs of outside temp=0 degrees, room temp=70 degrees and a total heatload w/o dhw: 38K btus/hr. I guess the question should have been, is this a heat loss calculation? If not, how does it relate to the calculation. Thanks.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Yes

Your house gives up 38k btu/hr of energy to the great outdoors on your coldest design day. This is the amount of energy you must put back into the house to keep it cozy on that cold day. You will want to look at the output ratings on the boilers rather than the input.If you are at altitude, you will need to do a bit more math.

If you provide more details about your present setup folks here can be more helpful. How is your radiant set up? How do you heat your DHW?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • sgtmikey
    edited July 2013
    Options
    a bit more info...

The house is an 1800 square foot cape on the north shore of Long Island. Built in the early 50's and extended/dormered about 10 years ago. Windows and insulation updated at that time with the exception of 2 rooms on the first floor. Full, unfinished basement.

Heat is currently provided by an oil fired boiler. Three zone radiant heat controlled by a Tekmar 370 controller with outdoor reset. DHW comes from a recently installed 60 gallon indirect tank, also controlled by the Tekmar unit.

I hope this helps. Thanks
  • sgtmikey
    Options
    A pic of the current sutup.

Here is the radiant panel.
This discussion has been closed.