Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can i replace my Indirect fired water heater with a conventional Water Heater?

My HTP SuperStor ULTRA indirect water heater is leaking from the bottom seam, It looks like the unit sells for well over a thousand dollars. I wanted to know if I could replace it with a cheaper conventional WH. Obviously less efficient. But i do not have the money right now for top of the line.

What would be involved?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Warrantee?

I would first check with the manufacture and see about a warrantee.

By the time you do the work required to go to a different heater, you will not save much if any money. With electric you will need a new circuit to the panel With gas, a new  gas line and flue.

What size is your tank?what are your DHW needs? The recovery rate is so much better on an indirect that you may be able to go with a smaller size.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • phelpsandreww
    phelpsandreww Member Posts: 4
    not original purchaser

No warranty. I'm not the original purchaser.

It's a 30 gallon tank.

We only use hot water for showers. Maybe once a day. And our dishwasher maybe twice a week.
  • zacmobile
    zacmobile Member Posts: 211
    water heater

It certainly can be done , were you considering a gas or electric conventional? if the latter, you would need a new breaker & wire run to the new tank which might be close to the value of a new indirect if you have to hire an electrician. If the former it would definitely be more than replacing the indirect after you muck around installing a new vent & gas line to supply it, either way the difference would be negligible and a lot more headache imo. Stick with the indirect, be happy.
  • moey
    moey Member Posts: 40
    better then you think

Unless you have access to NG I would suggest switching to an electric tank regardless. For a family of 4 we pay $25-$30 a month to use electric. We have a 80 gallon tank. Not worth the headache of a indirect. Our electric rates are 13.3 kw/hr.
  • phelpsandreww
    possibility of warranty?

My documentation states the Lifetime Warranty applies to the original Purchaser. Is there any loophole anyone knows of where it would follow the Unit instead, regardless of new home ownership?
  • phelpsandreww
    possibility of warranty?

My documentation states the Lifetime Warranty applies to the original Purchaser. Is there any loophole anyone knows of where it would follow the Unit instead, regardless of new home ownership?
This discussion has been closed.