Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect temps

Jack
Jack Member Posts: 1,047
What temps do you generally set your indirects? Do you add tempering valves on them?

Comments

• Indirect temperature

125F

If the capacity of the indirect is sufficient for household needs, then 125F is fine.  If not, we set the indirect higher (150F) and install a tempering valve.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • BriH
    BriH Member Posts: 3
    Always do

I've been taught to always put a mixing valve even on water heaters. But I do open up all the way and leave aqua stat at 130 tops
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Always

I set them at 140-150 and install a tempering valve on all my indirects.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,978
    edited July 2013
    Mixing Valve

If you decide to use a mixing valve, I like the new one by Honeywell.  It's very easy to install.

Edit:  Sorry, this is made for a standard, atmospheric water heater and may not be set up properly for an indirect.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    two thoughts

120- 125F takes care of the code requirement and lessens scald potential. But Legionella can be an issue with low storage temperatures.

140F or higher will handle the legionella concern, but a listed mixing valve must be installed to protect against scald potential.

It takes more energy to warm the water to 140F, then blend it with cold to useable temperatures around 115F.

Lower operating temperatures extend the tank life. Lower temperatures precipitate less minerals from the water.. Also less insulation and standby loss, at lower operating temperatures.

More and more European countries are requiring tanks, especially solar tanks, be elevated to 140F for a 1 hour period every 24 hours. A good compromise solution, I suppose.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.