Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Barrier X-5 underslab insulation

Simply Rad
Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
I have a contractor that has asked me to do some research on a underslab insulation called the Barrier X5.  We have always in the past used 2' Blueboard underslab. He recently spoke another contractor/friend who told him his experiences with the Barrier.  He likes the facts that it is not only a insulator but also a vapor barrier.

Is it truly an insulator of R 7.2  Blueboard is the proven product and I want to make sure we are doing the right.

What do you think?
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited July 2013
    Barrier X5

is a very good product for beneath slab insulation . the R value is there and vapor barrier to boot . Easier to install than XPS boards , it won't break . All around the best value for my money anyway . Have used it for many years now and would not consider anything else .  Best way to explain Barrier X5 is this , think about an 1 1/4 thick Dunkin Donuts coffee cup , still warm 30 minutes later when it's 35 outside .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Simply Rad
    Barrier X-5

Rich

Thanks for the input.  It does seem like a better product on paper, but as we know paper and real world are very different.  I think my biggest concern is when the wire mesh is layed down.  There is a lot of potential to rip the top layer of vapor barrier.  I know there is still the bottom layer, but to keep both intacted is a hard task.  I saw on the sales brochure that the product when installed with a concrete slab has an R-7.2.  Our new energy code is requiring an R-10.  So this project may require 2 layers of the product.  Maybe The Barrier Co will acknowledge the new energy code and start producing a R-10 product.  Thanks again

Jeffrey Campbell
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • Simply Rad
    Barrier X-5

Rich

Thanks for the input.  It does seem like a better product on paper, but as we know paper and real world are very different.  I think my biggest concern is when the wire mesh is layed down.  There is a lot of potential to rip the top layer of vapor barrier.  I know there is still the bottom layer, but to keep both intacted is a hard task.  I saw on the sales brochure that the product when installed with a concrete slab has an R-7.2.  Our new energy code is requiring an R-10.  So this project may require 2 layers of the product.  Maybe The Barrier Co will acknowledge the new energy code and start producing a R-10 product.  Thanks again

Jeffrey Campbell
    Jeffrey Campbell
  • NH03865
    NH03865 Member Posts: 38
    R-rating

Check the R value for just the material.  The brochure from their website states that Barrier X-5 (material only) has an R value of 5.3.  The R value of 7.5 is using the X-5 material plus the R value of the concrete.  I happen to like this product and used in in the radiant slab in the basement of the house I built a couple of years ago.  Because the R value is insufficient for the Barrier X-5 alone I used 2 inches of blueboard on top to give me a total R value of 15.3.  This also protected the X-5 material when I was installing the reinforcing mesh and radiant tubing.
This discussion has been closed.