Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

case grounded compressor?

Hey everyone....I went on a service call yesterday and found the breaker tripping to the condensing unit....I condemned a faulty compressor ...I was not getting continuity from any terminal to ground...but I was getting resistance from any terminal to ground (I was getting 357 ohms)...my question is what exactly is going on in the compressor? Why want I getting the beeping from my meter on the continuity setting....and why was there resistance? Thanks Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Somewhere in there...

there is a moderate resistance short to ground, probably in a motor winding.  There should never -- like never! -- be a resistance less than 1 meg and preferably 10 meg from any terminal except neutral (if it's present -- it sometimes isn't, depending on the wiring) to ground.  Neutral should show at most a quarter ohm or so to ground.

Different multimeters interpret "continuity" differently, but commonly they mean less than a few ohms.  Most would not interpret several hundred ohms as continuity.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Meg

So should I get a megaohmeter....would that be helpful in this situation...Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    meter

what setting is your meter on,   I recommend getting a megohm meter and re checking.   always check the elec circut.  for loose wiring or burnt comp. contactor contacts before condeming compressor. if it is single phase it could be a bad capacitor.    If your not getting contiuity to ground it may not be grounded
    RJ
  • Jamie Hall
    Yes indeed

burnt contacts, loose contacts -- bad cap. in single phase.  All possibilities.

I do hope, though, that the case and frame are all properly grounded!  There must be a ground wire back to the switchboard (green or bare); this is, so far as I know, without exception a code requirement.  Neutral (white) if it's present, should show low or no resistance to ground.  Hot (black or red or both) should show one megohm plus to ground or neutral (if present) and to each other if there are both black and red when the unit is off and the fuses/breakers are pulled (don't play with this stuff unless they are!) -- but there is an exception to that: some more modern units have a computer board in them which draws power at all times, whether the unit is off or on.  That may call for a little more creativity in checking!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    compressor

The meter was on continuity and I wasn't getting a beep to ground....I always check contractor for voltage drop...the capacitor was a 40/5...I was getting that exactly...the breaker kept tripping...so I pulled the wires off the compressor and reset breaker it did not trip and I had voltage at the wires...them I set my meter to ohms...I got a reading from each terminal to ground of 357 ohms...so I condemned the compressor...Paul S...(condenser is six months old....what could of caused that?)
    ASM Mechanical Company
    347-692-4777
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2013
    grounded compressor

Multi-meter that have a "continuity" checker ,that is for very low resistances. It is not for any kind of "hi resistance" readings. Many meters have two "ohm" scales ,lo & hi . The continuity setting will not work for testing for "ohms" . Then depending on the type of wire/winding problem in the comp motor the "short to ground" may be lo ohms or hi ohms, depending. Having a tripping CircuitBreaker w/ the comp wired in , and the CB not tripping with the comp wires removed sure indicates a bad comp motor.

A Meg0meter is not an average tool for an average mechanic. So I would shy away from that meter for now.

Jamie Hall, having a neutral  wire indicates a 115v system or a sophisticated system. Most residential comp motors are 1 phase ,220v , not using a neutral. On 115v comp motors , the Common, Start, and Run terminals are isolated from the rest of the wiring when testing ,so , the "neutral" feed of  the comp should not be grounded or shorted . The C ,S , & R terminals and the two windings ( S & R ) are isolated. Respectfully, Terry.
  • Jamie Hall
    Just trying to cover all the bases

" Most residential comp motors are 1 phase ,220v , not using a neutral.

On 115v comp motors , the Common, Start, and Run terminals are isolated

from the rest of the wiring when testing ,so , the "neutral" feed of

the comp should not be grounded or shorted . The C ,S , & R

terminals and the two windings ( S & R ) are isolated"

Quite true.  I was just trying to cover all the bases... and perhaps confused the issue.  Sorry...
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2013
    Grounded comp

Jamie, or  I mistook your explanation . I read a lot of your stuff on Steam Heat. You are quite knowledgeable.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You weren't

Getting a reading to ground because your compressor wasn't grounded. It was shorted. There is a difference.
This discussion has been closed.