Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fitting question

bill_105
bill_105 Member Posts: 429
About 25 years ago I plumber friend of mine noticed a street ell in a gas piping system I did. I was told that you shouldn't ever use St. ells in a gas system because the male section of it has a reduced inside diameter than regular pipe.

Well 25 years later I just heard the same thing

BTW the inspector never said anything and only now did I hear this again.

Truth or fiction?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Fittings

Here in NJ, the local gas utility uses A LOT of street fittings. I personally think the same as what you have heard. They do cause a restriction. And, they are more difficult to tighten with a wrench.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Street ftgs

My old boss taught me to only use street el's and street 45's only when absolutely necessary for the same reason  
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Close

If your piping it that close that a street fitting makes a difference. Bump it up a pipe size problem solved.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    In my gas class

They told me it was because there is no ability in a street fitting to bend and stretch if the building collapses, same thinking with a close nipple that is all thread, if the building crashes down it will break spilling gas. I said if that was the case why are they made? Instructor just said just don't use them...? I like your reason better, but when I absolutely need it I use them.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • LPGasman
    LPGasman Member Posts: 18
    If the building falls

I don't think it much matters what fittings were used somethings going to break, especially with the crap pipe and fitting being sold lately.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Prohibited practice

We in Canada specifically prohibit street elbows and tees. NFPA 54 does not.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited July 2013
    Q?

The measurements of the st. ell part is different than the gas pipe itself?

No T's in Canada? How?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Street Tee

Street tees are are prohibited, as well as nesting bushings.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Nesting Bushings

Henry, when you mention Nesting Bushings is that the same as saying face bushings? Thanks 
This discussion has been closed.